PINEWOOD DERBY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PINEWOOD DERBY

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default PINEWOOD DERBY

ANYONE HAVE ANY COOL 3D FILES TO MAKE PINEWOOD DERBY CARS ON CNC? I HAVE ONE I'M WORKING ON BUT WOULD LOVE TO FIND SOMETHING ELSE LIKE A CORVETTE, VIPER, FARRARI, LAMBO, ...ETC

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Just something plain, but fun!

Downloads
    Uploads

These are not 3D, but they are Vcarve 2D, for use with a 90 degree .5" router bit- good for wedge-type cars. I made the dragon one and filled in the negative space with 2 part resin & it turned out pretty cool. Oh, and don't forget... the speed is in the axle prep!
    -Mike

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PINEWOOD DERBY-dragon-bmp   PINEWOOD DERBY-remote-bmp   PINEWOOD DERBY-tribal-bmp  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Expensive tools can be cheaper than professional therapy

Downloads
    Uploads

here's a couple pics of a finished car-
    OK, I posted a couple- anyone else???
    Oh, and don't forget to let your kid have some of the fun too!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PINEWOOD DERBY-103_0399-jpg   PINEWOOD DERBY-104_0402-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My dad used to make some sick derby cars back when I was in the cubs. He makes custom woodwork for a living so he would really get into it. I'll post some pictures if I can find them.

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Work in Progress

Just havin some fun with home router.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PINEWOOD DERBY-p1-jpg   PINEWOOD DERBY-p4-jpg   PINEWOOD DERBY-p5-jpg   PINEWOOD DERBY-p6-jpg  

Last edited by CNC-Titan; 10-23-2018 at 05:04 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Moog, What software are you using?
    That looks pretty cool. I have yet to take that next evolutionary step towards walking fully upright (3D). I'd like to get into it without spending a zillion dollars.
    Thanks, Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON.
    DESIGN IN PROE AND PROGRAMMED IN MASTERCAM.
    I'LL POST COMPLETED PICS LATER

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PINEWOOD DERBY-car001-bmp  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a few that Ive made over the years... pm me an email address and I will send you a couple if you like. Just let me know what format you would like them in.

Jeff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

here is a pic of my latest car.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PINEWOOD DERBY-car6-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are our cars, (white one my sons, with hand tools) (red one mine done on my cnc router!

Ready for race-day!

Zoom Zoom Zoom!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PINEWOOD DERBY-100_0765-jpg   PINEWOOD DERBY-100_0764-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Red face

I think they look nice, but what do you do with them?
    My actual question is realy, whet the hell is a derby car ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts use them to race downhill. Track is approx. 25' long.
    Different catagories best looking, fastest, most unusual etc.

supposed to be father son bonding type of thing.

Just for braggin rights also!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ow ok. Well thats nice.
    Never heard of it

Downloads
    Uploads

My son's didn't win first, nor second, nor third, but we had fun building them!
    He did get BEST of SHOW!

Mine came in second in the parent's race where just about anything goes!

Now I'm workin on a wall plaque to show them off.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PINEWOOD DERBY-mvc-823f-jpg   PINEWOOD DERBY-mvc-824f-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the wall plaque done!

My son just loves it, and we had fun making it!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PINEWOOD DERBY-mvc-829f-jpg   PINEWOOD DERBY-mvc-832f-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Another version we built for display!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PINEWOOD DERBY-100_0831-jpg   PINEWOOD DERBY-100_0832-jpg   PINEWOOD DERBY-100_0833-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, I didn't know they still did those. Years ago I made one of them. Had a lot of fun doing it, too. Balanced out the wheels and turned them on a drill against sandpaper to try to get them to truly round, worked on getting just the right weight, etc. I got the max weight down to the gram by chiseling a narrow channel down the underside and laying in lead strip weights, then covering it over with wood filler before I painted. Looked really trick too. It was a blast. The race wasn't, but building the cars with my other scouting friends sure was!
    The scouts always seemed kind of like the PTA only for dads, all politics and not about the kids. I remember race day came and my car came in first every run, so one of the "queen bee" dads knocked it off the table between runs and busted a wheel off. Then proceeded to challenge me fixing it by quoting the rules that say a car after it was entered couldn't be modified - and so I shouldn't be allowed to put the wheel back on. His other judge buddies agreed and it was run the remaining heats with three wheels. Even with that, its previous performance still made it rank third overall, but since the top three spots were always traditionally reserved for the committee fathers kids it was given fourth, with more points than the third place, with no explanation.
    I still hoped somehow to get something for the show part of it, as voting was done by ALL the parents, not just the special ones. Unfortunately, the committee dads had been doing this for long enough they had a system. Any cars that looked crappier than their kids cars were OK to display and vote on, any kids cars that looked better (like mine and about a third of the entries) were simply disqualified ahead of time and removed from voting as they looked too nice - and therefore must have been done by the parents and not the kids. Of course.

Come to think of it, I don't know any of my friends who stayed with scouting for long because of crap like that. I know I left pretty quick. The derby cars were cool though.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would imagine crap like that would turn off a kid. (or at least make some Dads through down in the parking lot!)

My Tiger Scout (1st year of Cub scouts) son and I built his first car this year. He wanted a “truck” so we made him a truck. I will post photos. It was after I hand cut, glued, filled etc. that it dawned on me I could have used the Bridgeport in the shop for most of it! My buddy called up the day before the race asking if he could use it to mill some slots in his sons car. In the end I used it to pocket mill weight recesses in the bottom of the pinewood truck. The two of us stayed at my shop to 3AM the night before the race tweaking out our boys cars. I TIG’ed up a 1/8” wire roll cage for the back of his truck complete with a spare tire and a set of stainless steel off road lights. Ok a bit out of control! It did not place for speed but took 3rd for looks. (the den with the most voting kids took 1st and 2nd)

Already have plans to 3D mill a car next year for the Dad’s race. The Machinery’s Handbook lists dark cherry as one of the top woods for milling. The rule book for the pinewood derby race does not say it has to be made from pine! Loop hole and we are in!

I plan on lathe trueing the wheels and custom cutting the “nail’s” used for the axels to make straight ones with slight concave heads to limited contact to the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Stepper Monkey View Post
    Wow, I didn't know they still did those. Years ago I made one of them. Had a lot of fun doing it, too. Balanced out the wheels and turned them on a drill against sandpaper to try to get them to truly round, worked on getting just the right weight, etc. I got the max weight down to the gram by chiseling a narrow channel down the underside and laying in lead strip weights, then covering it over with wood filler before I painted. Looked really trick too. It was a blast. The race wasn't, but building the cars with my other scouting friends sure was!
    The scouts always seemed kind of like the PTA only for dads, all politics and not about the kids. I remember race day came and my car came in first every run, so one of the "queen bee" dads knocked it off the table between runs and busted a wheel off. Then proceeded to challenge me fixing it by quoting the rules that say a car after it was entered couldn't be modified - and so I shouldn't be allowed to put the wheel back on. His other judge buddies agreed and it was run the remaining heats with three wheels. Even with that, its previous performance still made it rank third overall, but since the top three spots were always traditionally reserved for the committee fathers kids it was given fourth, with more points than the third place, with no explanation.
    I still hoped somehow to get something for the show part of it, as voting was done by ALL the parents, not just the special ones. Unfortunately, the committee dads had been doing this for long enough they had a system. Any cars that looked crappier than their kids cars were OK to display and vote on, any kids cars that looked better (like mine and about a third of the entries) were simply disqualified ahead of time and removed from voting as they looked too nice - and therefore must have been done by the parents and not the kids. Of course.

Come to think of it, I don't know any of my friends who stayed with scouting for long because of crap like that. I know I left pretty quick. The derby cars were cool though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by helocat View Post
    The Machinery’s Handbook lists dark cherry as one of the top woods for milling. The rule book for the pinewood derby race does not say it has to be made from pine! Loop hole and we are in!

I plan on lathe trueing the wheels and custom cutting the “nail’s” used for the axels to make straight ones with slight concave heads to limited contact to the wheel.
    That's an awesome observation. With Cherry you could get a very thin, sleek car and still keep a lot of density, and not worry about thin areas breaking out. Much slicker than my pocketing in old lead strip weights for mass!
    I think you are on the right track with the wheels. The stock plastic ones straight out of the package had a thin ridge of mold line on the circumference that looked to affect roundness and performance, and the "nails" were pretty loosely fit to the holes. Truing them up and making better axle stubs than the nails is probably where all the speed will come from in the design. That and in the machining of the body you can make sure the grooves underneath for the stubs to mount in are truly square and parallel! Don't know how close they really are in the stock pre-cut pine blocks, as I didn't know what a micrometer even was when I was twelve, but they did seem pretty suspect even to us kids as some cars definitely did track a lot better than others.
    Thats awesome they have a dads race now. Bet that adds a lot to the fun and removes some of the problems, too. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast