Need Help! Machining a curved stair tread

Thread: Machining a curved stair tread

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Machining a curved stair tread

Hi,

I've two stairs that are a bit odd in shape. I did a quick 3D draw for them:

There used to be carpet on them but we want to replace it with hardwood... I was wondering if somebody can help guide me through the process to machine these treads?
    I use Fusion 360 to model and CAM.. I've access to a shopbot desktop and have used it a few times already.. but I'm not an expert...
    I've left over hardwood interlocking panels from when I did the floor...

What I've in mind right now is:
    1) Get the right measurements, the above is just an approximation... and transfer that into a model. Any ideas for how to accurately transfer the curve?
    2) I interlock enough panels to form a continuous panel big enough to cover the curve maybe staple them into a flat MDF or something
    3) Cut both treads from the same panel because if it's big enough for the lower step, I should have enough?
    4) Figure out what to do with the nose? maybe get a couple of these: http://ljsmith.com/assets/files/pdf/...ndingTread.pdf if you think it's a good idea..

ideas?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Machining a curved stair tread-stairs_render-jpg  
    Last edited by ProfH; 04-26-2017 at 11:49 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Machining a curved stair tread

Quote Originally Posted by ProfH View Post
    Hi,

I've two stairs that are a bit odd in shape. I did a quick 3D draw for them:

There used to be carpet on them but we want to replace it with hardwood... I was wondering if somebody can help guide me through the process to machine these treads?
    I use Fusion 360 to model and CAM.. I've access to a shopbot desktop and have used it a few times already.. but I'm not an expert...
    I've left over hardwood interlocking panels from when I did the floor...

What I've in mind right now is:
    1) Get the right measurements, the above is just an approximation... and transfer that into a model. Any ideas for how to accurately transfer the curve?
    2) I interlock enough panels to form a continuous panel big enough to cover the curve maybe staple them into a flat MDF or something
    3) Cut both treads from the same panel because if it's big enough for the lower step, I should have enough?
    4) Figure out what to do with the nose? maybe get a couple of these: http://ljsmith.com/assets/files/pdf/...ndingTread.pdf if you think it's a good idea..

ideas?
    Is this the right place to post such a question? Feel free to suggest something different if not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk