Animating a Terminator

Thread: Animating a Terminator

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Animating a Terminator

Hi all , I have a full scale Arnold that I've been building , and will be moddimg to look like the battle damaged version in the movie .
    Here he is here in my basement . The last pic is a 1/6th scale of how he's supposed to look .
    I have most of the parts other than the battle damaged knee .

I'm thinking of making the battle damaged arm moving at the shoulder and elbow . Basically use the mannequin as a mold and make new parts with joints .
    I think it would be cool to have some degree of rotational movement in the waist also.
    Would you guys use servos or steppers for movement in the arm ?

When steppers loose power , I believe they also lose there ability to hold, and when they power up again , would they go back to there previous locations ?
    Another option would be geared servos or I believe somewhere I've seen geared Stepper motors .
    I think steppers sound better robotically, and would be more realistic

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Animating a Terminator-dscf0418-jpg   Animating a Terminator-dscf0419-jpg   Animating a Terminator-img_0291-jpg  
    Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 04-02-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Animating a Terminator

Quote Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
    Hi all , I have a full scale Arnold that I've been building , and will be moddimg to look like the battle damaged version in the movie .
    Here he is here in my basement . The last pic is a 1/6th scale of how he's supposed to look .
    I have most of the parts other than the battle damaged knee .
    Very cool project !

I'm thinking of making the battle damaged arm moving at the shoulder and elbow . Basically use the mannequin as a mold and make new parts with joints .
    I think it would be cool to have some degree of rotational movement in the waist also.
    Would you guys use servos or steppers for movement in the arm ?
    Steppers would be fine. And as you say below, the sound would add to the effect.

When steppers loose power , I believe they also lose there ability to hold, and when they power up again , would they go back to there previous locations ?
    Another option would be geared servos or I believe somewhere I've seen geared Stepper motors .
    I think steppers sound better robotically, and would be more realistic
    Steppers have some, but very small, holding ability when powered off. To get them to go back to their previous location when powered on will require an absolute encoder attached to the stepper, and full computer control. There are gearboxes available for steppers, look on Ebay for geared steppers. With a gearbox, there will probably be enough resistance to prevent movement when powered off.

Once you get the mechanics worked out, then comes the real fun of getting it all under computer control. There are many options available for this type of project. The degree of sophistication depends on your budget. I would use a stand alone motion controller for this type of project. Small enough to install in the body and no external computer required.

Looking forward to following your progress

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the post Jim . I have had limited success with computer stamps before . Used stamps from parallax to run servos with PWM years ago.
    I've never played with steppers before , but am collecting parts to build a CNC router . I thought seeing as I'm going to learn about steppers , that maybe they will be less intimidating, and I could implement them in Arny .

My concern was if the damaged endo arm relaxed after being powered off , and when it got the on command , would it go back to it's original location and take a kids eye out or something.
    I'm going to look at geared steppers and as you say , try and keep a simple system internally that does not require a full blown computer, other than programming .

All I basically want is some random movements , as I thought it would make for a cool effect

I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Downloads
    Uploads

If you want your stepper motors to stop moving, you just stop sending them motion pulses. You don't have to turn the power off to them; they have their maximum torque when holding still. If you do turn off the power to something like an outstretched arm, expect it to drop. (A stepper gear-motor may not, depending on how easy it is to back-drive the gears). But in an open-loop stepper system, it won't return to the previous position when power is restored. But if you want to avoid injury to bystanders, keep them out of harm's way - like any automatic machine, your robot might do unexpected things.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    But if you want to avoid injury to bystanders, keep them out of harm's way - like any automatic machine, your robot might do unexpected things.
    Yes this is my concern ,as the 3 laws of robotics don't apply to Terminators lol

Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 04-02-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Stamps will work perfect for what you want to do. Actually much easier to control steppers than servos with them.