Need Help! Basic Wooden Cube

Thread: Basic Wooden Cube

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Basic Wooden Cube

Hi all,

I'm extremely new to wood working and the CNC community and I wanted a project that will keep me busy. I recently ordered 1-inch wooden cubes. However, they are not exact. So if I stack them 10-inches high, there are slits that let light through. I wanted to have them EXACTLY 1-inch and I was hoping a CNC machine would help me. I'm not new to hard work and research but I feel a quick post may save me a week or so as I only get how to create a turner cube. All I need to know is what kind of machine will work and is there a suggested DIY build?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Basic Wooden Cube

I think a good table saw and planer is probably a better approach than a cnc for this particular job.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's what I originally wanted to try but I'm having trouble thinking of a way to hold down 100 blocks. I've created a kind of 'holder' but it doesn't work very good. Maybe I'll research a better way to hold the blocks. Thank you for your reply

Also, hypothetically, if I were to use a CNC machine, which would be advised?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by foxberg View Post
    That's what I originally wanted to try but I'm having trouble thinking of a way to hold down 100 blocks. I've created a kind of 'holder' but it doesn't work very good. Maybe I'll research a better way to hold the blocks. Thank you for your reply

Also, hypothetically, if I were to use a CNC machine, which would be advised?
    I'm not sure what you mean by a holder. You don't need to hold down 100 blocks to make them. Use the planer and table saw to make 1 inch thick, 1 inch wide strips of wood of any length (lets say 3 feet). Then just cut off 1 inch pieces from the end by setting the table saw fence (so you don't have to repeatedly measure). You can use a cross-cut sled for this last part.

As far as what cnc to get...that is a whole can of worms and there are thousands of posts on this site for you to look through that show everything from diy scratch builds to full fledged machining centers.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by manofmanyhats View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by a holder. You don't need to hold down 100 blocks to make them. Use the planer and table saw to make 1 inch thick, 1 inch wide strips of wood of any length (lets say 3 feet). Then just cut off 1 inch pieces from the end by setting the table saw fence (so you don't have to repeatedly measure). You can use a cross-cut sled for this last part.

As far as what cnc to get...that is a whole can of worms and there are thousands of posts on this site for you to look through that show everything from diy scratch builds to full fledged machining centers.
    ohhhh, I see. Okay that makes more sense. Sorry for the noob question and thank you for your help

Downloads
    Uploads

Do not cut 1" cubes between the fence and blade. You need to use a cutoff sled with a stop block.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Do not cut 1" cubes between the fence and blade. You need to use a cutoff sled with a stop block.
    oh ok. I didn't think of that but that makes sense. Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

Woodworking involves planning. Rip cut two sides to 1" by the length of the wood then use a miter fence with a stop block to cut the remaining faces.
    Or safer yet put a mark on the tabletop and cut 1" length to that mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk