Seicos III, battery dead? software reload? How bad is this?

Thread: Seicos III, battery dead? software reload? How bad is this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Seicos III, battery dead? software reload? How bad is this?

Have had a lathe down for a while as we source other parts. However, I realized it looks like the maint battery may be dead? How long do those last? I figured due to how difficult it was to get to and pretty much no shot at replacement while running, it would last for many years?

In any case, if the battery is truly dead, can we just re-enter the parameters like most other controls? I heard somewhere they require a total software reload? That would be a HUGE problem! I can't even find anyone to even talk to about these machines! And we have a pretty rare lathe in the fact that it has LOTS of bells/whistles that were not common on them at the time.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Seicos III, battery dead? software reload? How bad is this?

Bob,

Sent you a pm. Don't worry, there's hope! Should be no issue getting this back online. I specialize in the repair of Hitachi Seiki machines. Take a look and and we will go from there

John

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am new on a job operating one of their oldest machines. Hitachi Seiki 23SIII Seicos-L Multi. Went to load a new program and controller froze. Multiple restarts later have realized that machine will start and HOME but as soon as you hit PROGRAM CALL the screen changes and no other functions will work. Screen shows lines for parameter but no entries. List heading for REGISTERED PROGRAMS but no programs are listed.

Have read some and many people go for the battery right away. I cannot find any instructions for battery replacement. Where is it located and what is the replacement type? Please, thank you and all that.

Downloads
    Uploads

What is the backside control? - my guess is an Yasnac i80 - they have batteries on the rack on the left and right side depending on your options one bank may be empty. Take a look at the attached pic - this is the control rack and each black box on either side is the battery housings. They are 3.6V AA - pull them out when the machine is on and check them to see if they are low. Let me know what you find out

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, and sorry it took so long. Found the parts manual and yes, it is a Yasnac i80. I just found the board and am trying it out now.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have the batteries out on the left side, not sure how to look at others with machine running due to the breaker interlock. But looking for a voltmeter now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just checked the two I had out and they are both at 3.7 volts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No batteries loaded in position C and D.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK - so batteries are good. If you cant get anything to go on the memory side (Edit, Program Calling, Directory, etc) then likely your memory is frozen - it happens alot when programs are loaded incorrectly or the cable is incorrect/broken. Normally the only way to fix is to reformat the memory area. I have run into this on i80's many times. Double check that you cannot get into the memory areas in any form and let me know

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have tried to enter from the MEMORY screen, MAINTENCE mode and BACKGROUND EDIT MODE. As soon as I hit PROGRAM CALL the machine freezes. Willing to try anything. I have all of the manuals if you can point me to something there. Help is much appreciated.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Lee
    if you are OK with doing a program regen (this will erase all NC programs stored in the control) - You turn off the machine(Control & Main); on the FC200 board turn the rotary switch to E; then turn on the main & control and you will get a menu. Cursor down to program, hit input, then Y for yes. It will say Generation complete, hit the function key for Return. Then turn off the control. put the rotary back to 0 on the FC200 and you should be good to go! Let me know how it works out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

LOL, I think It worked.

I can go back and forth between program call and back to edit and MDI, move the machine and back to call. I am going to go get the computer and hook it up. Try to load the next two programs.

One more message saying we are up and running and WE owe you a lot.

BTW, how do you tell which direction to hook the battery connectors back up? it plugs in both ways.......

Downloads
    Uploads

They are good either way as far as I know - either way you put them in they will get the charge. Your control would tell you if it wasn't receiving the battery backup. They have numbers on the connector and board - 1 and 5 on the board are the same, and 3 is always in the middle so you cant go wrong!

If it happens again then there is a break in your cable or something causing bad data to corrupt your memory area. Keep me posted!

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

John, I just loaded three programs and getting ready to do the set-up. Ya know tomorrow they are going to say Lee got the Hitachi going and I will say, John and I got it going. Thanks, ya know, it was kinda fun. Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Glad to hear it! Its always a good thing when machines are running; and you learned something in the process! Contact me any time for Hitachi Seiki or any Machine Tool related issues - send me a PM and ill send you my email

John