Need Help! Hi Cell 23II MP Scale Removal

Thread: Hi Cell 23II MP Scale Removal

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hi Cell 23II MP Scale Removal

We have a Hitachi Seiki Hi Cell 23II bar feed lathe. We need to get at the MP scale/stater ring behind the spindle motor. We took a few things off on the back. Now the problem is there is a threaded collar on the hollow spindle shaft. The collar is locked in place by three set screws. Between where the set screw sit and the shaft are 1/8 thick by ½ square pieces of steel that protect the threaded shaft. The set screws are loose. The thing that is holding us back is how to remove the square pieces. Can not unthread the collar until these three pieces are out of there. There is no way to get a hold of the pieces and pull them out. Anybody got a clue how to remove these pieces.

BTW, if the MP scale/stater ring is bad. It has to be make and that will take 4 months.

Thanks for comments and time.

Jimbo

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hi Cell 23II MP Scale Removal

Jimbo,

I have done this before on a few different Seikis. Can you send a picture of what you are dealing with so i can make sure we are on the same page and Ill see if I can help you out

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hi Cell 23II MP Scale Removal

I have just replaced the windings on the same type of machine, and have to remove the items you refer to.
    the 3 pieces you refer to are an integral part of the locking nut and do not come out as you suggest.
    the grubs crews are released and the nut is then unscrewed, however it can be extremely tight and any sort of banging with a mallet etc might cause damage to the sensor ring.
    I had to hacksaw the nut, across the top of one of the inserts is best,