Need Help! 3 PHASE CONVERTER - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 PHASE CONVERTER

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 3 PHASE CONVERTER

3 PHASE CONVERTER-img_1168-1-jpg3 PHASE CONVERTER-img_1171-1-jpgTorin,

I am not supplying single phase to a 3 phase device (this obviously will not work) When I got the machine it had a controller fault, so while waiting to find some way of getting 3 phase
    I connected the Nc controller (Siemens 810T) to a Uk 3 pin 240 Volt supply, this was connected via the machines controller transformer that has several inputs (440v/240v/...and others).
    The control only needs 120 volts, again tapped from the control transformer,

This only give you a supply to be able to use the control (no drives or spindle) and a few other functions (work light/fans/manual turret/) This enabled me to input parameters and other settings
    and fix the control fault (the fault was actually 3 off the boards had corrosion (see photos) where the fan blows down on the circuit boards, it looks like someone had used soluble coolant on this machine)

Allen3 PHASE CONVERTER-img_1169-1-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by moonman5 View Post
    Mike,

That's brilliant, I learn so much on this forum, So from what you are saying the capacitors are just there to help start the three phase motor? and if I am reading this right you did
    not need the capacitors because you kind of "bump started" the 3 phase motor with the single phase motor?.....that is brilliant!

So (excuse my ignorance) how do you tap the 3 phase supply from the 3 phase motor,

This really tempts me to have a go, I would like to see a more descriptive schematic to see how you done this,

Allen,
    It is so simple. You have two power lines going in and you have a empty third leg on the motor. That becomes your third leg of power. In other words, three lines in and three lines out, all the same lines.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 PHASE CONVERTER-002-jpg  
    Last edited by Machineit; 02-21-2017 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Changed photo for morer clarity.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    It is so simple. You have two power lines going in and you have a empty third leg on the motor. That becomes your third leg of power. In other words, three lines in and three lines out, all the same lines.
    This drawing, (a brilliant artists conception) is if you use a regular converter with the capacitors in it. Otherwise you must have a way to get the motor turning about about half speed or better in one direction or the other.

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike

A masterpiece! did you do the drawing on a "Etch-a-Sketch"! lol,...... Ok so I kind of understand the circuit, but what happens to the small start up motor once the 3 phase motor is going,
    is it switched off? Also all the phase converters I have seen have massive transformers, what do they do? are they there to give a more stable output?

I am really tempted to try this setup, and I can see it being a lot cheaper,

Allen

Downloads
    Uploads

What you think are transformers are the housings for all of the capacitors. These are my two converters and neither have transformers. In that drawing, if you want to get it going with another motor just add it to the front of the main motor and power it separately. When up to speed, then throw the breaker on the main motor. Just so you know, the direction of the motor means nothing. Turn it in either direction and then give it power.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 PHASE CONVERTER-inside-jpg   3 PHASE CONVERTER-2_resized-jpg   3 PHASE CONVERTER-1-resized-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

You haven't answered the other post, do you want the battery holder?

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Allen

what connections are available on your 3 phase motor ?

if you have 6 terminals great

you have the ability to wire the motor in "star " for connection to a 420V three phase supply which needs the use of a 240 to 420V step up transformer as used in this static converter

3 PHASE CONVERTER-clarke-pc20-40-60-phase-converters-pdf

it looks complicated because of the switching of the capacitors for various motors 2 to 5.5HP
    and the automatic selection of the start capacitor

if the motor is wired in "delta" you don't need the transformer

some motors are hard wired with the star point hidden inside the motor

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mike,

Hi Mike,

Yes I do, I need the complete unit, the battery holder and the battery case (my one has just fallen to bits?, the bits of casing were laying next to the monitor in the control unit,
    but there was no sign of the battery cartridge?, I am wondering now if that was why the machine was sold with a control fault, if so it was an easy fix,

Let me know how much you want for it including P+p to the Uk, I would be very grateful,

Allen

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,

Thanks for your input, At the moment I have no 3 phase to the machine at all (only the 120 volt via the control transformer to the controller) I really would like to get a good stable 3 phase
    to the machine, that way the spindle motor would be ok to run as normal (it's a Fanuc 5.5Kw Ac motor) I am more worried about the spindle drive board and the servo motor drives?

Interesting what you have said tho, I need to look at the motor to see how it is wired,

I have to admit I am very tempted to try what Mike has suggested and make my own rotary phase converter run from a "pony" motor, I just need to be sure I am confident about wiring it,
    that said there are so many helpful guys on this forum I am sure I can do it, Actually I am quite excited about giving it a try!

Thanks again for your help,

Allen

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mike,

NICE! love the wiring, very neat, and those capacitor clamps are brilliant, I am gonna give it a go, already got the "pony" motor, got my eye on a couple of 3 phase motors on e-bay,
    got several other bits, starter ect, quite looking forward to giving it a go! Ii have been told that it is possible to "fine tune" the output with capacitors? to get a stable output, need to do
    some learning on this one,

Allen

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by moonman5 View Post
    Hi Mike,

NICE! love the wiring, very neat, and those capacitor clamps are brilliant, I am gonna give it a go, already got the "pony" motor, got my eye on a couple of 3 phase motors on e-bay,
    got several other bits, starter ect, quite looking forward to giving it a go! Ii have been told that it is possible to "fine tune" the output with capacitors? to get a stable output, need to do
    some learning on this one,

Allen
    I think you are not following me. That is not a unit I built. It is a commercially available unit. I was just showing you that what you think is a transformer is just the housing for all of the capacitors.

PM me with your address and I'll get the battery holder off to you.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12