Hardinge CHNC turret valve permanent blowing

Thread: Hardinge CHNC turret valve permanent blowing

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hardinge CHNC turret valve permanent blowing

Hallo
    I have just started my CHNC with an Allen Bradley Control
    It seems that everything is working fine just the Clippard Valve for the turret blows permanently thru a hole in the aluminum body. Is that normal?

My compressor works hard to get enough air.

If I turn the turret with the swith at the reader unit it turns perfect.
    I have unmounted the valve and there is no rubber seal between the aluminum body and the valve. Maybe the seal would close that bypass?

Thanks for the help.
    Thilo

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hardinge CHNC turret valve permanent blowing

If you are referring to the Air Cushion / Bump Stop. That always leaks air. The CHNC is an air hog. And if you are running one with just a slight compressor system. The compressor will work hard to keep up. It is one of the negatives of this machine.

Post a photo of what you are talking about and perhaps I can help you more.

I remember way back when......
    We ran two 1995 CHNC3's with one 5HP 60 Gallon Compressor. You could go into the compressor room and grill steaks on the compressor's cylinder heads.
    With just a touch of motor oil Ajou sauce.

JT

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you so much JT

I am not able to post aphoto
    but it is like you mentioned. It is the Clippard valve for the turret steering.
    If the turret sits down after rotation it is blowing permanantly thru that bypass hole.

I think I have to buy a new compressor.....

Thilo

Downloads
    Uploads

Finalyy I was able to post the photo

The air is blowing even when the turret is in the down position

Is that correct ?

Thilo

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTurn View Post
    If you are referring to the Air Cushion / Bump Stop. That always leaks air. The CHNC is an air hog. And if you are running one with just a slight compressor system. The compressor will work hard to keep up. It is one of the negatives of this machine.

We ran two 1995 CHNC3's with one 5HP 60 Gallon Compressor. You could go into the compressor room and grill steaks on the compressor's cylinder heads.

JT

Downloads
    Uploads

Finalyy I was able to post the photo

The air is blowing even when the turret is in the down position

Is that correct ?

Thilo

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTurn View Post

JT

Downloads
    Uploads

As JonnyTurn said, they are air hogs and were designed that way. They wanted to keep chips etc. out of the housings.

When I first got mine years ago, it did not work at the time. I found a guy that had worked for Hardinge for over 20 years as a CHNC tech and even helped with the design and assembly. While waiting for him to come, I took the entire turret all apart to FIX that leak. Turned not to be bad, but had purchased the seals so did it anyway. Still leaked bad. When I talked to him, he confirmed that it was normal and nothing could be done.

He was a great guy and is retired now, but recently gave me an old VCR tape called, "Everything you wanted to know about commissioning the 810 T control for the CHNC 1, but were afraid to ask." Seriously, that is the name of it. The man talks with a German accent in a slow monotone voice that will put you asleep in minutes, but it does some good info in it. I did a digital conversion to DVD for it and if you have a Siemens 810 T control, PM me and I'll send you a copy.

Good luck and get a bigger compressor!

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You need that seal on the valve, it will leak, do not over tighten once you get a seal. Mine had minor air loss out the back of the valve and it worked ok, now I have a ton of air leaking out the rear of the buffer piston, like tons and the buffer is intermittent. I replaced all the X and O rings, still bleeding too much air. Seems to have made it worse.I need a buffer doctor.

Downloads
    Uploads

<Bump> Any resolution to this? I have the same problem with a CHNC 4 that is caused by the check valve upstream. I replaced the Clippard valve and the problem did not go away. I am expecting some x-rings today to complete the rebuild of the check valve and see if it solves the problemHardinge CHNC turret valve permanent blowing-check-valve-png

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lavrgs View Post
    <Bump> Any resolution to this? I have the same problem with a CHNC 4 that is caused by the check valve upstream. I replaced the Clippard valve and the problem did not go away. I am expecting some x-rings today to complete the rebuild of the check valve and see if it solves the problemHardinge CHNC turret valve permanent blowing-check-valve-png
    Also found an o-ring in the turret that’s very skinny. All the seals will be replaced. I’m also going to clean up the seat for the check valve