Problem Renishaw INSTALLED!!

Thread: Renishaw INSTALLED!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Renishaw INSTALLED!!

Finally got our WIPS Renishaw probing system installed and have played around with some of the installed VQC set ups.

The main purpose of buying it was to automate tool length setups, and also work offset setups. I came across a couple questions on the preinstalled VQC programs.

1) Under the probe there is a outisde corner and inside corner. These both are designed to touch the part on the x axis and the y axis twice. The length of the first touch is not adjustabe on either axis, whats its purpose?

2) One the tool setter, if you have the diameter measured as well as the length I see it gets recorded on the screen by the length. But my question is will the machine actually change my gcode that was input from Bobcad? Of would I need to take the measurement thats displayed by the measurement and enter it into bobcad and repost the code?

I know the capabilites are far greater on what this system can do. Of course I'd like to use it for much more down the road. What would be the best way to learn its capabilities? Are there books, vdeos, etc?

Thanks

Keith

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LockTech View Post
    Finally got our WIPS Renishaw probing system installed and have played around with some of the installed VQC set ups.

The main purpose of buying it was to automate tool length setups, and also work offset setups. I came across a couple questions on the preinstalled VQC programs.

1) Under the probe there is a outisde corner and inside corner. These both are designed to touch the part on the x axis and the y axis twice. The length of the first touch is not adjustabe on either axis, whats its purpose?

2) One the tool setter, if you have the diameter measured as well as the length I see it gets recorded on the screen by the length. But my question is will the machine actually change my gcode that was input from Bobcad? Of would I need to take the measurement thats displayed by the measurement and enter it into bobcad and repost the code?

I know the capabilites are far greater on what this system can do. Of course I'd like to use it for much more down the road. What would be the best way to learn its capabilities? Are there books, vdeos, etc?

Thanks

Keith
    1) This first approach is done at a faster feed rate and let's the machine know where the material is. Then it probes a second time at a slower feed rate to get the setting point. As far as I know, both feed rates are actually able to be changed. But don't until you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing. Which, at this point, you don't.

2) Depends on how you are programming. If you are placing the work zero on your part during programming, there is no reason to change anything. This is a programming problem/issue/question, not a probing one. Learn more about programming.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tx,

On answer #1....I know it does this on most any measurement it takes. But this specifically does it at about .5 inches from the start point on the x and the y. If it were simply as you stated why wouldnt it just take the quick measurement at the distance that was programmed from the corner? Which coincidentally ends up being the distance of the second touch.

On #2....Assuming you are talking about manual programming? I dont currently do any manual programming, I am using Bobcad. I normally set up a part and set toolpaths in bobcad, then I'll post it and run it. I thought it was a fairly simple question. I am pretty sure I know the answer, and can definately run some tests to find out, just thought I'd ask since I already had something else I wanted to get a opinion on.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    1)Learn more about programming.
    Funny you should mention that. Methods of learning the Renishaw and programming that goes along with it was also what I was asking when I said.....

"What would be the best way to learn its capabilities? Are there books, vdeos, etc?"

Thanks for the help

Keith

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have the Renishaw book that came with the probe. That is the only source of published information on it that I am aware of.

The why of the double approach/touch is to attempt to avoid crashing the probe and stylus. After months, maybe years of testing, Someone decided this was the best process.

The numbers obtained as part zero by the probe should match up exactly with your BobCad programming. There is no need to adjust your programming if the numbers are matching up. If you program your part with the back left top corner as being the part zero in your software and then probe the back left corner of your part as the work zero, they should match up perfectly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tx,

Thanks for the explanation. I do have the OEM books that come with it and will take a closer look to see if I missed anything in them.

Typically yes I do zero at the left back coner. I dont have any problems with the zero's matching between the software and the fixture. My concern was with the diameter measurement from the OTS. For example I have a .5 in EM in place. I just measure the "tool length and diameter" which it inputs under the tool length column and under the diameter column, it shows 5.009. My question is does this 5.009 being the true diameter of the EM need to be put into bobcad as the diameter or will the HAAS controller take it into account and make the adjustments on the fly?

Did that make any sense?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LockTech View Post
    Tx,

Thanks for the explanation. I do have the OEM books that come with it and will take a closer look to see if I missed anything in them.

Typically yes I do zero at the left back coner. I dont have any problems with the zero's matching between the software and the fixture. My concern was with the diameter measurement from the OTS. For example I have a .5 in EM in place. I just measure the "tool length and diameter" which it inputs under the tool length column and under the diameter column, it shows 5.009. My question is does this 5.009 being the true diameter of the EM need to be put into bobcad as the diameter or will the HAAS controller take it into account and make the adjustments on the fly?

Did that make any sense?
    If you are programming with output for cutter compensation (G41/G42 - edge of part) then the CNC control calculates the difference for you. If you are not programming with cutter compensation (center line of cutter), then yes, you will need to change the value in your CAM and repost.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tx,

Thats for clearing that up or me.

Keith