Need Help! Replacing a Haas Monitor - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing a Haas Monitor

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Les is more View Post
    The original signal cable fits the monitor like a glove. You don't need an adapter for that.
    The Haas video cable have 9 holes, but I think the standard LCD monitor cable have 15 pins cable???

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoi.le View Post
    The Haas video cable have 9 holes, but I think the standard LCD monitor cable have 15 pins cable???
    If this was a standard monitor I wouldn't pay $375.00 for it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If this was a standard monitor I wouldn't pay $375.00 for it.
    It's so funny, thanks for you reply. Any ideas for a adaptor to changed from Haas video signal to standard LCD?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoi.le View Post
    It's so funny, thanks for you reply. Any ideas for a adaptor to changed from Haas video signal to standard LCD?
    Sorry dude, I have no idea.

Downloads
    Uploads

Bumping back to top to see if there has been any progress. I have quite a bit of burn in on my monitor and a couple of old LCD's sitting around begging to be used.
    Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by autotechsteve View Post
    Bumping back to top to see if there has been any progress. I have quite a bit of burn in on my monitor and a couple of old LCD's sitting around begging to be used.
    Steve
    I installed the LCD monitor on my old HAAS and it works like a charm. How much more progress do you need?
    If one of your old LCD monitors has a 9 pin connector, then just plug it in, power it up, and check if you can see something on the screen. It is that simple. I tried to use a newer monitor with a 15 to 9 converter cable, and it was a no go.

Downloads
    Uploads

chances are you need to convert the signal from 9pin ttl to 15pin vga for the lcd.....Don't know if anyone makes one...that company above selling the lcd monitor for the haas probably does the work for you.

just a guess though.

thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Downloads
    Uploads

I installed the LCD monitor on my old HAAS and it works like a charm. How much more progress do you need?
    If one of your old LCD monitors has a 9 pin connector, then just plug it in, power it up, and check if you can see something on the screen. It is that simple. I tried to use a newer monitor with a 15 to 9 converter cable, and it was a no go.
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. I am checking to see if any of the converters mentioned in the beginning of the post worked. I know the Haas is an MGA/TTL signal. I just wanted to know if some of the OP's came up with a converter solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Dementianati View Post
    First, the old monitors are MGA - the 9 pin is not the DE-9 VGA semi-standard, but rather the original IBM monochrome video (remember the original IBM PC with the green screen monitor?).

5) I just found this option... Several far east manufacturers have started making converters for older video game consoles to use a VGA monitor. These normally hook to a TV. This, as it turns out, is exactly what is needed. A search on eBay (search for "CGA VGA") turns up several models under $100. You just need to make your own cable for the input, which is trivial.

I am doing option 5 immediately to get the thing going, but will do option 4 eventually.

Go to Wikipedia and look up MGA (actually listed under MDA on Wikipedia) and CGA for the pinouts.

On the DE-9 connector, pins 1,2 are ground, pin 8 is horz sync and pin 9 is vert sync. Intensity is pin 6.

MGA (and HAAS) use pin 7 for monochrome video with pins 3,4,5 unused. CGA uses pins 3,4,5 for RGB with pin 7 unused. Most monitors that take CGA also take MGA and figure out which pins have signal. The eBay adapters also do this.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by zagan engelsein View Post
    Hello, this is my first comment here; regarding the issue we are trying to change the monitor in a VF6 Haas, we bought a CGA to VGA converter (GBS-8220; 42 dlls) but it didn't work because the signal from the Haas is MGA (MDA) not CGA, so, for this purpose you need a converter from MGA to VGA and the one I found might work is the GBS-8219 (280 dlls), as it is intended for that.

So, we gonna order the GBS-8219 from jammaboards and I'll post if it's worked.

Zagan
    The looking around that I did kept leading me to the Jammaboard. Here is a link to get a description.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/jamma-arcade...item3a6741de4c
    Has anyone tried it out to see if it works? I have a perfectly good 15 inch LCD sitting here that I would love to put on my Haas. I mainly want to get rid of the burn in on my display. I know that an LCD screen is commercially available, I just can't justify the cost unless mine totally quits and I have no other choice.
    Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=autotechsteve;1044919]Sorry, I should have been more specific. I am checking to see if any of the converters mentioned in the beginning of the post worked. I know the Haas is an MGA/TTL signal. I just wanted to know if some of the OP's came up with a converter solution.

I see your point. But is it worth to d_ck around for not that much money? Saving tons of dough by not going with the HAAS replacement and going with no brainer solution is the way to go. Now I have a nice set-up and time to go sailing.
    But if you have lots of time and enjoy playing with a new idea, then that's a different story. Good luck and have fun.

Downloads
    Uploads

I see your point. But is it worth to d_ck around for not that much money? Saving tons of dough by not going with the HAAS replacement and going with no brainer solution is the way to go. Now I have a nice set-up and time to go sailing.
    But if you have lots of time and enjoy playing with a new idea, then that's a different story. Good luck and have fun.
    For me it is worth it, and for many others I assume. You mentioned that you spent $375 for the new LCD. The adapter is $35. As for the monitor, most of us, myself included, have one laying around. If not cheap monitors are everywhere, even new. So for a little digging and trial and error, to save $340, I'll take that.
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm thinking of getting that board just to check and see...but I'm busy at the moment...will try it next month if I can.

thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by autotechsteve View Post
    For me it is worth it, and for many others I assume. You mentioned that you spent $375 for the new LCD. The adapter is $35. As for the monitor, most of us, myself included, have one laying around. If not cheap monitors are everywhere, even new. So for a little digging and trial and error, to save $340, I'll take that.
    Steve
    I'm curious to see how long it will take and whether it will work at all. Tick-tock the clock is ticking and to me time is money.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm curious to see how long it will take and whether it will work at all. Tick-tock the clock is ticking and to me time is money.
    Very true but my monitor still works, I just want a screen without burn in and possibly a larger screen as well. I would like to keep this thread on topic and not about why its better to buy a drop in monitor. Converting to an off the shelf LCD is the reason the thread was started in the first place.
    Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just to let everyone know I bought a new CRT from Haas in November of 2011 for my 2001 VF2 and as of today it is already stopped working in less then 6 months. They have a 90 day warranty with no exceptions $500 down the drain. I looked at the tube on the CRT and it has a 1 inch crack up from the center.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Facilitymngr View Post
    Just to let everyone know I bought a new CRT from Haas in November of 2011 for my 2001 VF2 and as of today it is already stopped working in less then 6 months. They have a 90 day warranty with no exceptions $500 down the drain. I looked at the tube on the CRT and it has a 1 inch crack up from the center.
    I'm sorry to hear about your CRT going caput after only 6 months of use.
    My LCD is still working perfectly. I think that LCD is a way to go.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacing a Haas Monitor-monitor-jpg  
    Last edited by Les is more; 04-24-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I found out today that not only did the monitor go bad after 5 months but it took out the video board as well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New twist on an old subject.

Reviving this thread again, but with a twist.

Has anybody replaced their CRT or even better convert to LCD who is running the Renishaw visual quick code?

Here is my scenerio:

Upgrading an 01 vintage machine with monochrome CRT to utilize visual quick code probe system; Renishaw.

The only problem I am having is the graphics for the VCQPS do not display the vertical lines of the graphics properly which makes it impossible to determine what you are looking at. All text and g-code is visually fine though.

After much troubleshooting, I have confirmed that the replacement CRT from Haas has this effect, but much older CRT's (as in original) display the graphic just fine. This is not a video PCB problem either, tried that.

So I am looking for a newer CRT or LCD conversion that is displaying the graphics of the Renishaw cycles properly. Anyone?

Downloads
    Uploads

Well If you need the probe to work I have redone the probe code to make it work on a 1995 VF-2 without VQC. I also made a quick code file to go with it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DaOne View Post
    Well If you need the probe to work I have redone the probe code to make it work on a 1995 VF-2 without VQC. I also made a quick code file to go with it.
    Thanks for the offer, but the code works just fine. The problem is that unless you have the routines memorized for what information to fill out on the screen, the operator does not know what to input.

This system is in place on about 8 other machines (all newer) and I am trying to get this one to be similar. As we all know, some operators need all the help they can get! If it is to difficult, I am certain I will be replacing damaged probes for sure.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

LCD monitor conversion sucessful - installed and working on 11-11-2012!
    More information to come as we proceed with this project.

DL Hodgdon
    H. H. Mercer, Inc.
    H. H. Mercer, Inc. Machine Shop Birchwood Casey hhmercer
    cad@hhmercer.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast