Need Help! tool wear/cutter comp

Thread: tool wear/cutter comp

Downloads
    Uploads

Default tool wear/cutter comp

New to Haas programming here. I have a problem where I'm getting a .005 " step between a contoured wall and a curved surface tool path. I've tried to use wear for giggles but there's no G41 or G42 in the code so that obviously doesn't work. I tried changing the tool diameter down to see if that would blend it but nothing is working. How do I go about remedying this situation? All the moves are G1, there are no I or J call outs. Here's the first few lines. do I need to break it apart and give it the G41 and G42 codes for each side since its different sides of a pocket? Just hoping for an easier way.tool wear/cutter comp-wall-step-jpg

G20
    G0 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90
    T2 M6
    G0 G90 G54 X4.5 Y-5.1597 A0. S2500 M3
    G43 H2 Z.25
    M8
    Z-2.4
    G1 Z-2.5 F20.
    Y-.4643
    G0 Z-2.4
    Z.25
    X4.4902 Y.1644
    Z-1.7934
    G1 Z-1.8934
    Y.1641 Z-1.9056
    Y.1619 Z-1.9362

thanks in advance

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: tool wear/cutter comp

Changing tool diameter in the Offsets of the mill is useless unless you're using Cutter Comp in your CAM.
    Make sure the tool diameter value is correct in your tool library of the CAM you're using. Adjust as needed to get high precision parts. (example, a 3/8 end mill is never exactly 0.375 and typically at least 0.001" smaller.. maybe more)
    Only use G41 when climb milling, G42 is for Conventional milling and rarely used on CNC mills. G40 cancels cutter comp.

It sounds to me like what you really need to do is study up on how to use your CAM and learn what's going on with G code. You can't just insert a G41 in your code and expect it to work correctly. It has to work with the CAM software when it's generating the tool paths and has to be activated in you CAM software first.
    Your CAM generates tool paths based on your tool size (size you input into the tool library), when you switch to cutter comp it generates a tool path with zero offset and the mill controller then generates the offsets based on your D value (tool diameter and tool wear values in the mill).

Downloads
    Uploads

What CAM software are you using? Often you will need to activate a lead-in/lead-out move which gives the processed code a spot for the G41 and G40 in and out of the cut. You will also probably have to force the lead-in/lead-out to be perpendicular (this depends on the type of toolpath and vintage of the Haas control, but it also makes the posted code easier to understand).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    What CAM software are you using? Often you will need to activate a lead-in/lead-out move which gives the processed code a spot for the G41 and G40 in and out of the cut. You will also probably have to force the lead-in/lead-out to be perpendicular (this depends on the type of toolpath and vintage of the Haas control, but it also makes the posted code easier to understand).
    True that. If posted code was written and qualified without G41, Gg42, you can still use it. Just make sure your tool diameter listed on the control is set to 0.000 even though the CAM used 0.375. That way you can use wear offsets of a few thou.G54 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0; G01 X.1875 G41 D0.0; Like stated above only G01 G00 moves can turn or off tool offsets.

Last edited by LeWhite; 12-19-2017 at 01:04 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm just starting out with the programing too but in Fusion there is a stock to leave box that can be unchecked for finishing.