164 Drive fault. A Axis. chasing thie bug on used machine week now. ABrk? MoCon?

Thread: 164 Drive fault. A Axis. chasing thie bug on used machine week now. ABrk? MoCon?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 164 Drive fault. A Axis. chasing thie bug on used machine week now. ABrk? MoCon?

New setup for the Son and I. No clue if or when the A axis worked last. 20 year old 98 VF/4. all brushless drives. Running a BRUSH 210 w/ inductor to go brushless to brush HRT.

I am unable to get past this A Axis 164 drive fault error. I have swapped everything but the MoCon and I/O boards. I have moved everything up to "B" Axis slots, and set the A Axis to disabled- And it works as B. I hate to go into a MoCon board for those types of costs as I do see the A brake circuit does come in from I/O board. I guess I should check that somehow. (voltage transition low to high or high to low on the red A BRK wire of harness I assume). I do here the air puff on A. but am not sure if that is part of the brake release? I do get an A UNCMP on the screen, but cannot be sure it's firing. It's almost immediate. If I cycle it 20x... get it all warmed up.. sometimes ithe 210 platter starts to turn while it tries to home- Then error after running 20- 30secs.

Just wondering if the brake did not unlock, would the current to turn Max out and cause a 164 fault? Just chasing any leads at this point.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 164 Drive fault. A Axis. chasing thie bug on used machine week now. ABrk? MoCon?

You have me confused, but let me try something.

Even though your machine is a brushless one, the 4th axis drive should be brush and brushless. Check the number on it and see. There is also a label on the control panel door stating what the 4th drive is. If it came with a 4th axis drive it would have been brush/brushless. Either way you should not be having to use any converter or what you called and inductor for the table. Drive should have a 17 pin cable and should just plug into the cabinet. The machine in "Settings" should be changed to what ever unit you have, a 210 in you instance. There is a table of setting in "Parameters" that may need to be changed, but worry about that later.

So check your drive.

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 164 Drive fault. A Axis. chasing thie bug on used machine week now. ABrk? MoCon?

I will try to help this along.
    To run a brush hrt from a brushless amp- You must purchase 1 of 2 optional kits which allow brush hrt operation from a brushless amp. (and end up w/ the 1 17pin DIN connector).

1 of those kits is far more expensive than the other (see my post from a few weeks back on 4th axis pre-wire)... To see a picture of the 93-4303 ($395) 4th drive pre-wire kit (with inductor) take a look here: https://www.haascnc.com/productivity...html#gsc.tab=0 The inductor (looksl like a transformer) are used to end up w/ an HRT BRUSH compatible motor voltage.

So here is what I did.....
    I put in the new Amp. Wired that in for the 4th A axis. Same error. A axis 164 drive fault.
    I even swapped the 17pin DIN connector. I put in another all-new cable. - Same Error. A axis 164 drive fault.

Isolation time: Move entire 4th axis to 5th axis slots.... Does it follow 4th to 5th???
    I moved the 17pin DIN to MoCon (left side) connector to the B (5th Axis) connector.
    I moved the AMP to MoCon cable (right side) to the 5th axis connector.
    I moved the A brk (P29) to B Brk, (P44) on the I/O board.
    Enable 5th axis as a 210.
    Disable 4th axis.
    power up- It does run fine. Am able to use SHIFT-B and then hand job the 5th axis! :-)
    Compared the B Side parms to A side. same.
    Conclusion: The problem is either in the MoCon or the I/O board & 4th axis A-Brake circuity. (or could it be in either of the 2 boards behind the moCon? New to Haas!).
    Since I think it'll be the MoCon- But before I drop a a grand or more on a MoCon swap... I should validate the ABrake is triggering from the I/O board. (I assume).... just to validate the 4th brake and 5th brake act the same?

Last edited by countryguy; 10-04-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Did your machine come with a 4th axis drive?

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Did your machine come with a 4th axis drive?
    supposedly. The key's for a 4th are on the sheet. No drive. No cables.

I think this was a parts swap machine for a time. I'm seeing how things are "different" Some filthy. some clean. etc. you can tell things went in & out. But I am learning a ton and we'll get it going. Part of the low price was knowing it might have some issues and I can pretty much handle the system/EET work. Just not a bad board.

tonight I am going to try an old EET trick from back in the day's of PCB repair. I am going to re-solder the pins on the encoder and AMP connectors of the MoCon. Multi layer boards sometime have a connection land/trace "snap" internally from flexing the connectors in& out. Might as well. Nothing left to really loose. :-)

Thanks for helping! much appreciated here. I know how valuable everyones time is.

Downloads
    Uploads

SOLVED- Running fine.
    I ordered a new inductor board, a new Amp/Mocon cable, and a new smart Amp. replaced all the wire, and the harness. Unit came up fine! Seems I had at least 2 bad parts for the troubleshooting and isolating just never seemed to add up. This is now SOLVED. a 20 year old machine...sometimes it's just easier to rip and replace. But I sure learned a TON!

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA