VF-1. carousel T1 position pin hitting cover

Thread: VF-1. carousel T1 position pin hitting cover

Downloads
    Uploads

Default VF-1. carousel T1 position pin hitting cover

I've rebuilt the tool carousel on our old VF-1 machine. Cleaned and powder coated, replaced most fasteners with stainless, new bearings, etc. I put in a new 10-32 screw and spacer for the T1 position switch but it hits the support straps welded into the big sheet metal cover. This in a non-modified cover. Anyway, it was doing the same thing before I took it apart and had worn the top of the screw of the T1 position indicator nearly off. It had been getting worse and worse over the years. The spacing for the pin to trip the switch is right at where it should be and I see no reason for the pin to hit the sheetmetal cover unless the cover has sagged over the years. As I said, it was hitting before and I can see no way to re-space anything enough to make any difference. I'm going to cut the spacer down a little but worry that it may not depress the switch enough after I do.

Ideas??

JohnF
    Phoenix

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VF-1. carousel T1 position pin hitting cover

On mine this was caused by a loose screw where the cover mounts to the casting, compounded by being slightly bent. Also, if the machine has ever crashed the toolchanger, its likely this is tweaked. I straightened mine a little with a jack, but really it should just come off to get straightened.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, that's what was wrong w mine too. The umbrella is a little saggy and I had to drill out the screws that held the umbrella to the housing when I rebuilt the thing so some of the holes were on the verge of threadless so stripped when I mounted it all back up. I used longer stainless screws and put nuts on the back of a couple. I also trimmed down the spacer that sits under the bolt head and trips the T1 switch so all clears OK now. We got one of those component carousels off Ebay to replace ours. It's made from 6061 and you can replace individual pockets if you bend or break one rather than the whole carousel. Little pricey but came with all new components.

JohnF

Downloads
    Uploads

I got one of those replaceable carousel's too, its the way to go in my opinion. I crashed mine when I was trying to get things lined up because I hit the estop as it was coming down at 100% rapid. Big mistake, estop doesn't stop the servos, they coast.

So I replaced it with one of those. They have a bit more individual flex, which I feel is a plus when tools get sticky.