Next Gen Control from HAAS

Thread: Next Gen Control from HAAS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Next Gen Control from HAAS

I have a 2015 VF4 and just took delivery of a new VF2 last week.
    Trying to get going on the new control and I must say.. it pretty much sucks.

I like to do my work offsets using the "Single Surface" method. In the old control I can jog the axis without leaving the probe screen.
    In the new control I have to leave the probe screen, go to jog screen, jog to where I want to go, get back to the probe screen and do it all over again.
    Seems no one at HAAS did any type of usability study on their new fangled controls.

Lost the "orient spindle" button too. I use that all the time when I'm indicating vises or parts. Holds the spindle from turning when the indicator is stuck to the spindle face.

First impressions are that it's a step or two backwards. Definitely slows down productivity.

Thoughts?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Next Gen Control from HAAS

It lost the side by side dual editors as well. Though I heard renishaw came out with a new probe calibration routine that doesnt require a precision ring and just probes multiple points around the ots stylus.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My first calibration was with that function "all in one calibration" or something like that.
    Seemed to do OK. My parts are coming out like they should.

I did watch one of the Haas Tip of the Day yesterday that really broke down the tool probing.
    I also like being able to change programmable coolant positions on the fly.
    But it still feels clunky.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another thing, I dont know what software version you have but there is a bug that you have to keep the doors closed when viewing a program in graphics mode. They really really want you to be safe lol.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's all new to me and I don't have the probe system. I have a new mini mill and the controls seem to be pretty easy for me to navigate. This is the first Haas I have ever touched, so I am not used to anything better.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by djr76 View Post
    Another thing, I dont know what software version you have but there is a bug that you have to keep the doors closed when viewing a program in graphics mode. They really really want you to be safe lol.
    I'm running 100.17.000.1015, and that is fixed. I can watch graphics with the door open.

Quote Originally Posted by djr76 View Post
    It lost the side by side dual editors as well. Though I heard renishaw came out with a new probe calibration routine that doesnt require a precision ring and just probes multiple points around the ots stylus.
    I'm not sure what to think on their new probe calibration routine. I keep wondering how accurate it is in calibration when both the spindle probe and OTS can move. So when the spindle probe contacts the OTS, does the OTS move some small amount before the spindle probe triggers? Unless the spring rates are higher on the OTS, how can anyone tell if the spindle probe triggered without the OTS moving any at all?

Downloads
    Uploads

Mechanically it's designed so the proper device is triggered. However, that technically only applies to the factory OMP probe tip lengths. The probes have an internal force adjustment which is pre-set from Renishaw, but I wouldn't suggest messing with it under most circumstances.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Our newest is a 2017 VF2SS we got about 3 months ago. Biggest complaint with NGC is there is no longer a way to SLOW graphics down. I use graphics on new programs to look for errors,etc., without the slow down feature you have to single block your way through which is ridiculous. I'll wear the damn cycle start button out before long. Seems like a big step back for such a advanced control. Can't even begin to think why they omitted that feature. Haas applications said they miss that feature too but it will take customers calling in a complaining for them to add it to a update. Which they will IF enough people call in. So I did my part.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mtlhe View Post
    Our newest is a 2017 VF2SS we got about 3 months ago. Biggest complaint with NGC is there is no longer a way to SLOW graphics down. I use graphics on new programs to look for errors,etc., without the slow down feature you have to single block your way through which is ridiculous. I'll wear the damn cycle start button out before long. Seems like a big step back for such a advanced control. Can't even begin to think why they omitted that feature. Haas applications said they miss that feature too but it will take customers calling in a complaining for them to add it to a update. Which they will IF enough people call in. So I did my part.
    Turn on setting 104 and use your jog handle wheel to single block.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks djr, that certainly hopes, but at least with our 2015 model you can slow it down while running. Applications has told me it's on the to do list.