Need Help! Removing the spindle cover on my 08' VF1

Thread: Removing the spindle cover on my 08' VF1

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Removing the spindle cover on my 08' VF1

I need to replace the encoder belt on my 08' VF1. I've removed all the screws that are visible on the cover and it will only come up about an inch and is stopping hard on something. Does anyone know what I'm hitting? Also I have unplugged and removed the cooling fan and unplugged the tool release button. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Vance

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Removing the spindle cover on my 08' VF1

Possibly the tool release button is stopping it

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This must be a tougher problem than I thought. 120 views and only one reply. Either the question is so stupid that it doesn't justify an answer or it's a serious problem. Lol
    Thanks for your response mbservice but I have disconnected the tool release button and also pulled it out to be sure it's not interfering.

Downloads
    Uploads

Removing the spindle cover on my 08' VF1-wp_20170705_10_45_16_rich-jpg
    Removing the spindle cover on my 08' VF1-wp_20170705_10_45_27_rich-jpg
    Removing the spindle cover on my 08' VF1-wp_20170705_10_45_33_rich-jpg
    Removing the spindle cover on my 08' VF1-wp_20170705_10_45_40_rich-jpg

Pics of headstock hopefully you can work out whats causing it

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vance1911 View Post
    I need to replace the encoder belt on my 08' VF1. I've removed all the screws that are visible on the cover and it will only come up about an inch and is stopping hard on something. Does anyone know what I'm hitting? Also I have unplugged and removed the cooling fan and unplugged the tool release button. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Vance
    If your head cover is a 1 piece design and not several panels, then you will basically need to bear hug the cover, reach around to the back edge of the cover, then slightly pull out towards the side doors then lift up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Be sure to remove the chip guards on the side, some times the bolts grab and make the cover hard to move, also removing the head cover be careful of the Tool release button! the wires are easy to break and its a tight slide in the cut out. and is a $160 replacement (wonder how i know
    :/)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks a bunch guys. The bear hug did the trick. I was just catching the tip of one of the screws that holds the chip guard on. A little stretch and it came right off. Thanks again.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks a bunch guys. The bear hug did the trick. I was just catching the tip of one of the screws that holds the chip guard on. A little stretch and it came right off. Thanks again.
    On the sides of the head cover, you will notice a black angle bracket attached to each side. When reinstalling head cover on machine, pay attention to which channel of the Z-axis rail guides that they go into. They should drop into the channel that is closest to the front of the machine. If they drop into the wrong channel, the covers may bind or get damaged when Z-Axis goes up/down.

Just wanted you to have a heads up. Good luck on the repairs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I finally got the correct belt after the 3rd try and have replaced it. I started the machine up and when I start the spindle, it will only run about 100rpm and won't orient. The spindle load meter is maxing out but the spindle turns by hand as free as it ever had. No matter what I program the spindle speed in MDI or if I try to override it will turn at the same speed. Also when you press the orient spindle button in MDI, it says "running" but nothing is moving. Does anyone have any idea what I may have done wrong?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I finally got the correct belt after the 3rd try and have replaced it. I started the machine up and when I start the spindle, it will only run about 100rpm and won't orient. The spindle load meter is maxing out but the spindle turns by hand as free as it ever had. No matter what I program the spindle speed in MDI or if I try to override it will turn at the same speed. Also when you press the orient spindle button in MDI, it says "running" but nothing is moving. Does anyone have any idea what I may have done wrong?
    It sounds like there is much more going on with this machine than just a simple encoder belt replacement. Was this machine running prior to changing the encoder belt? If not, then you need to provide a lot more details about what is going on with the machine. Your issue seems to be parameter related, but again, this is just a guess since there are missing pieces to this puzzle.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes it was running fine before. I lost spindle orientation and I adjusted it out in the parameters. About a week later I lost orientation again so I decided to replace the belt. When I got it apart the belt was in bad shape, missing teeth in several places. I replaced the belt and the pulley on the encoder shaft. When I hooked everything back up, the spindle will start but only at very low rpm (maybe 100rpm) and the spindle load meter is reading %200. There is no spindle speed reading on the control and when I try to orient the spindle in MDI it does nothing but says running. I'm wondering if I fried the encoder when I unhooked the cable and the ground that was on the encoder housing. I had the E-stop pressed but the machine was under power. I have not changed any parameters other than when I adjusted 257 when I was setting the orientation so I could make a tool change. I'll also mention that the orientation was correct when I started the change. Tool changes were smooth with no interference.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes it was running fine before. I lost spindle orientation and I adjusted it out in the parameters. About a week later I lost orientation again so I decided to replace the belt. When I got it apart the belt was in bad shape, missing teeth in several places. I replaced the belt and the pulley on the encoder shaft. When I hooked everything back up, the spindle will start but only at very low rpm (maybe 100rpm) and the spindle load meter is reading %200. There is no spindle speed reading on the control and when I try to orient the spindle in MDI it does nothing but says running. I'm wondering if I fried the encoder when I unhooked the cable and the ground that was on the encoder housing. I had the E-stop pressed but the machine was under power. I have not changed any parameters other than when I adjusted 257 when I was setting the orientation so I could make a tool change. I'll also mention that the orientation was correct when I started the change. Tool changes were smooth with no interference.
    I have disconnected the encoder cable countless times just as you have described and have never fried it; but never say never. That said however, I have heard of the encoder getting damaged when replacing the pulley on the encoder shaft. If the pulley was stuck onto the encoder shaft as they sometimes are, it is possible to damage the encoder internals when removing the old pulley which sounds like what may have happened here.

I would take a close look at the encoder and make sure it spins freely and smoothly. Double check the plug and wire connectors to make sure something is not loose. There is not much for serviceable parts inside the encoder, but if you think you will be replacing it, then there will be no harm done to take a peek inside if you care to do so. Unless the encoder pulleys/belts are slipping, I would suspect a bad encoder at this point based on the information you have provided. Not what you want to hear I am sure.

Good luck!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    I have disconnected the encoder cable countless times just as you have described and have never fried it; but never say never. That said however, I have heard of the encoder getting damaged when replacing the pulley on the encoder shaft. If the pulley was stuck onto the encoder shaft as they sometimes are, it is possible to damage the encoder internals when removing the old pulley which sounds like what may have happened here.

I would take a close look at the encoder and make sure it spins freely and smoothly. Double check the plug and wire connectors to make sure something is not loose. There is not much for serviceable parts inside the encoder, but if you think you will be replacing it, then there will be no harm done to take a peek inside if you care to do so. Unless the encoder pulleys/belts are slipping, I would suspect a bad encoder at this point based on the information you have provided. Not what you want to hear I am sure.

Good luck!
    This sounds like the most likely scenario. I did have trouble removing the old pulley and had to tap on the shaft with a brass punch to get the old one off. Maybe the jarring broke something inside.
    Thanks to all of you. Now to find a new encoder.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This sounds like the most likely scenario. I did have trouble removing the old pulley and had to tap on the shaft with a brass punch to get the old one off. Maybe the jarring broke something inside.
    Thanks to all of you. Now to find a new encoder.
    Yep, I would almost bet money that is your issue then. Those encoders definitely have some sensitive components.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Yep, I would almost bet money that is your issue then. Those encoders definitely have some sensitive components.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way.
    Just as HAAS tec said that is the most likely cause, in my experience NEVER hit the encoder shaft or heat the pulley, 9 times out of 10 it can damage it, I use a press to remove stuck pulleys and the only issues i have had is the shaft mushrooming and i fixed it with some sand paper