Need Help! Drawbar/Toolchange issue

Thread: Drawbar/Toolchange issue

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Drawbar/Toolchange issue

First off, thanks ahead of time for any help or assistance you may have.

This weekend my super mini mill started acting funny on tool changes. I have 2 items I have noticed.

1. When I remove a tool from the spindle manually, it works fine, but when I release the button to grab the tool it makes a squealing noise briefly, kind of like a balloon when you let the air out sound.

2. When a Tool Change is commanded it works fine, but sporadically it acts strangely. It goes as planned until the spindle goes down and grabs to the tool. You get the above sound, then after drawbar closes, it just sits there for a second or two. I never did that until this weekend. It does not do this on every tool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone is willing to discuss over that phone I would open to that help as well.

Similar Threads:
    Donald

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Drawbar/Toolchange issue

Its either your trp solenoid valve, your quick exhaust valve, pre charge regulator. Also check the exhaust mufflers on these valves because I've seen them get clogged and the valves will malfunction. One more thing i hope you dont have a lot of water in your air system. How new is the air system? If its a 2014-2016 machine there was a defect with the water separator filter breaking inside container and the debris causes the other valves to malfunction.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I am going to give it a look when I get a chance. I have a couple more parts to finish before I can tear machine down. Machine is a 2006 model.

Can the humphrey valves be cleaned or must they just be replaced? That is what the local HFO pointed me to, but wouldn't really say much else.

I ran the machine last night for 2 hours, after wards I inpsected the air/water filter behind the machine, no sign of water at all.

Quote Originally Posted by HFO Tech View Post
    Its either your trp solenoid valve, your quick exhaust valve, pre charge regulator. Also check the exhaust mufflers on these valves because I've seen them get clogged and the valves will malfunction. One more thing i hope you dont have a lot of water in your air system. How new is the air system? If its a 2014-2016 machine there was a defect with the water separator filter breaking inside container and the debris causes the other valves to malfunction.

Donald

Downloads
    Uploads

yes, check the cylinder oil level , if it is frequently getting drained solenoid silencers might develop abnormal noise. make sure FRL unit lubricator drops standard flow to the cylinder unit. if these things are fine cylinder seal needs to be checked

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HFO Tech View Post
    I agree with HFO tech, the shuttle valves get sticky especially if your air system is wet

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dneisler View Post
    First off, thanks ahead of time for any help or assistance you may have.

This weekend my super mini mill started acting funny on tool changes. I have 2 items I have noticed.

1. When I remove a tool from the spindle manually, it works fine, but when I release the button to grab the tool it makes a squealing noise briefly, kind of like a balloon when you let the air out sound.

2. When a Tool Change is commanded it works fine, but sporadically it acts strangely. It goes as planned until the spindle goes down and grabs to the tool. You get the above sound, then after drawbar closes, it just sits there for a second or two. I never did that until this weekend. It does not do this on every tool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone is willing to discuss over that phone I would open to that help as well.

Did you ever resolve this issue? Currently experiencing the same issues with my 2006 SMM.

Thank you.