Is it just me or HAAS machines don't mill (feed) as fast as it claims?

Thread: Is it just me or HAAS machines don't mill (feed) as fast as it claims?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is it just me or HAAS machines don't mill (feed) as fast as it claims?

I was watching this video on youtube & no way in hell it is going 2,200IPM.

I see this in many HAAS videos, maybe HAAS machines have an internal limiter? Or maybe the acceleration of the stepper motors are limiting it?

Thoughts??

Same with these guys

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is it just me or HAAS machines don't mill (feed) as fast as it claims?

There is not a whole lot of long rapids in these videos, but the Y and Z moves in the very beginning of the first video (0:06 time mark) are pretty damn fast. Also, are you perchance confusing rapid feed rate and cutting feed rate? If the machine is capable of 2200ipm rapid moves, that does not mean the actual cutting could or should be done at that speed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is it just me or HAAS machines don't mill (feed) as fast as it claims?

Many high end machine manufacturers apply a rapid rating in "Gs" of acceleration, which is actually a much more relevant number than IPM since that takes *distance* into consideration.

No machine is going to hit 2000+IPM rapid in a short distance, regardless of its ultimate capability.

PM

Downloads
    Uploads

danaman

It would pay to get a better understanding on machines in general, machines like this do no use Stepper motors, these machines use high speed AC servos with 20 Bit Encoders,

You are confused with the machine Rapid feed which is 2,200IPM this is not the cut feed that they are using, they don't say what the feed rate is, there are machines that run much faster than this, with Rapid moves of 3,500 / 5,000IPM Plus, is normal for a 4g Linear motor machine

In the first Haas Video they where cutting a steel part, so it was moving at a fast speed for cutting steel, ( more than 200IPM ) there where lots of tool changes all running at different speeds / feed rates being used, including rigid tapping in this demo

The speed any machine can run at is a combination of many things, Ballscrew Pitch, axes motor RPM Spindle RPM, and how rigid the machine is, the control also has to be able to process the program, to move the machine and hold accuracy

Here is a Linear motor machine
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6BC3&FORM=VIRE

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

BTW, in the second video you can see a glimpse of the computer screen showing the feed rate of 800 (presumably inches per minute).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Feeding at 2,200 Ipm is insane. Rapid movements at 2,200 ipm is for high speed production. Faster tool changes,faster rapids to get your tools down to the part faster before you start feeding into a cut within the tooling limits.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's like gas mileage claims, all bull.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoecken View Post
    It's like gas mileage claims, all bull.
    Another person that can't read, the first video is correct, they did not clam that it was doing 2,200IPM cutting, the second one is not unusual either to be running at that speed milling aluminum, if you want to compete you have to run at these speeds, or you are left behind with no work, and out of business

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

mactec54:

You have no sense of humor.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoecken View Post
    mactec54:

You have no sense of humor.
    There was nothing humorous, about what you said ( It's like gas mileage claims, all bull. ) it's saying the Haas Video is all Bull, and it is not

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HIGH SPEED MACHINING (REALLY HIGH!!!)
    This is not a HAAS machine, but it's very fast