VF2 programming

Thread: VF2 programming

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default VF2 programming

I have a project I need done and a local non-profit has a VF2 that can do the work, the problem is that they have no clue how to program and they told me their software expired. They have been using another local shop to do programming for anything they need done but the person there left and they don't know how to reach him.

So, does anyone here do programming? I'm out of my element, I do laser engraving, so I'm pretty clueless as to exactly what needs to be done. I do have a detailed drawing but I don't know where to go from there.

Thanks for any help!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VF2 programming

Quote Originally Posted by LaserImage View Post
    I have a project I need done and a local non-profit has a VF2 that can do the work, the problem is that they have no clue how to program and they told me their software expired. They have been using another local shop to do programming for anything they need done but the person there left and they don't know how to reach him.

So, does anyone here do programming? I'm out of my element, I do laser engraving, so I'm pretty clueless as to exactly what needs to be done. I do have a detailed drawing but I don't know where to go from there.

Thanks for any help!
    You need a CAM program setup with a post processor that will generate GCODE for your VF2. You can download a free version of Fusion 360 from Autodesk, This program combines the CAD, CAM and post processor into one package and it is free for hobbyist. You probably can load your existing cad files into Fusion with out too much trouble. We did some test runs with Fusion and got it working within an hour or so using the haas post processor from Autodesk. Learning about tooling, work holding, tool offsets, speeds and feeds...thats a lot to take in with some one elses expensive machine. You can do it but I would not expect to be making great parts the next day.

Last edited by Turbo442; 04-20-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's what I was afraid of... I've used Fusion 360 and it seems easy enough, but like you said, tooling, speeds, feeds, etc., are a bit more complicated than that. Unfortunately, the people who have the machine know even less about it than I do so it looks like I'm probably out of luck. I may try to find another local shop that knows the machine and see if they can give the rest of the info I need after I do the design in Fusion.

Thanks for your reply!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Buy said VF2 and let loose

or let me buy it, either one haha

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I need it to make a $200 part so buying it isn't likely... lol. The org that has it uses it so little that they may be interested in selling it, you never know!

Downloads
    Uploads

LaserImage,

Programming (CAM) is only a portion of the work required. As you probably know from your laser work, you will need to set X,Y,Z work offset values. Additionally, tool lengths need to be measured (touched off either on the top of the part, the table, or some reference), and then adjustments made to your total Z offsets depending on how you set up the tools.

Much of the above goes hand-in-hand with the work done in CAM.

Fire away if you have question.

PM

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LaserImage View Post

Thanks for any help!

I don't understand how an organization can just have a $50k+ machine sitting doing nothing? It boggles the mind!

Anyway, where are you located? Perhaps there is someone here that is close by and would be willing to help. If you're in the Chicago/Milwaukee area I would be interested.

C|

Downloads
    Uploads

It's a non profit organization. They can't run it or they run the risk of making a profit.
    There is also an RFQ here at the zone. Submit your needs there.
    Whoever gets the work will likely want to use their own CAM anyway.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have a vf2 haas and can cut your part and ship it to you. Do you gave a 3d model of it and we can quote it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk