Haas TM1 - First go...Struggling with setup

Thread: Haas TM1 - First go...Struggling with setup

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Haas TM1 - First go...Struggling with setup

Hi Folks,

Installed my TM1 last weekend, and have been popping into the garage to get everything sorted every evening this week. I'm pretty much ready to run my first programme, but I am struggling with tool offset/work offset and changing tools manually.

So, I have got 5 tool holders, 4 with end mills in, and 1 with a haimer 3d taster analogue dial.

I think I have set the tool heights in the machine, I did this by going through the tool setup screen, Tool 33 is now my Haimer, and tool 1,2,3,4 are my end mills.

First I got my 20mm paralells on the table, and jogged down with the hiamer, I got it to read zero on the dial in Z and then pressed tool offset button, which altered the tool z height, I then subtracted the 20mm, and got a true z height of the tool from machine home.

I did the same with all the endmills, but obviously by sliding the parralells in and out, rather than crashing into them

So I now have 4 endmills all setup, flutes, z height, diameter etc. and the hiamer too.

But the bit I can't figure out... if I put a part in, and want to measure the z height, I would use the hiamer to get to zero on the dial on top of the part, then set G54 or whichever work offset. The machine knows the z height of tool 33 (the haimer) so can now figure out the height of the work relative to the Z home...is that correct?

And I assume, that as the other 4 end mills are all a known length, when my programme calls them, the mill knows the part top height relative to the height of the end of the endmill?

IF those assumptions are correct that is great, but I have a HAAS specific issue.... I do not have the ATC, so I have to change tools manually. NEXT tool increments the tool by 1, which means if I want to use tool 33 (the haimer) to set the work offset I have to cycle through from tool 1, all the way to tool33, which takes ages, and then I have to cycle through using NEXT TOOL button 70 times to get back to my endmills! There MUST be a way to tell the controller what tool I am manually putting into the spindle, but I can;t figure it out!

I want to be able to tell the machine I am putting in tool33, then put it in, jog to the work top, and sides, set the work offset, then cycle start (with the tools set in my CAD/CAM software)

So what buttons are the right ones to press, idiot proof guide needed.

I have tried searching, but unfortunatly every time I type in Haas change tool, i get a load of info about ATC...which I don't have.

Thanks folks! I just want to run my first part!