New or Used TM2P

Thread: New or Used TM2P

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New or Used TM2P

I’m thinking about purchasing a used tm2p 2014 model Haas mill from a west coast dealer. It has a chip auger, probing and 4th axis. The used machine only has 300 cutting hours on it. I can buy a new tm2p without the 4th axis for about the same money. My question is which one do I purchase? Are there any improvements to the new machine to make it worth the cost. Is Haas’s next generation controller a major improvement or all fluff. I careless about seeing videos on the control. Is the 2014 machine new enough to have all the pneumatics centralize in one location like 2017 models?

If I purchase a used mill can I expect good service from the local Haas HMO?

I realize these questions are relative but I would like the opinion of the group.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by bdrmachine; 03-08-2017 at 09:34 PM. Reason: addition

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New or Used TM2P

BDR,

The NGC gets mixed reviews, but for my money, I would have bought new if that was the price difference. I bought a used TM-3p and haven't regretted it, but I paid less than that. I added the 4th (found one that was still covered in shipping grease). I would point out that the warranty you'll get as well as the discounted tooling that comes with the purchase of a new machine from Haas should also be considered. I would sleep better at night knowing where my machine had been from day one too, but again, I got a good price. Just my $0.02. Good luck!

Everyone has already told you this, but the probe is worth every penny.

Ken

Downloads
    Uploads

I had a nex-gen machine tell about 5 months ago when they came and got the POS out of my shop ... from what I`m being told "SOME" of the problems with the nex-gen have been fixed but I would not spend my money on one ... they worked on mine for 7 months and it never get any better , I like the older control but changed to buying Doosan machines and well NEVER go back to haas machines after 7 months of hell.

by the time you ad the 4th card and the 4th axis your looking about 12K in savings or so and from what I have seen there has been few changes with the TM machines in the last few years other than the control .. so 12k for 300 hours use and getting a good control would be worth it for me ...

Downloads
    Uploads

And he strikes again!

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

I have definitely heard mixed reviews on the nexgen control, but I don't have one, so cannot comment further on it.

I, personally, would not buy another mill without a 4th axis. But that is based on the work we do. You mentioned the used machine has "4th axis". Do you mean it is wired for 4th axis, or do you mean it comes with a rotary of some sort? If you are getting a rotary with the machine, it's a far better deal than the new machine without one. If it does not come with a rotary, then the new one is the better bargain, but then you get stuck with the nexgen control.

In all reality, 300 hours of cutting time is really only 2 months use in a single shift shop. Unless they abused the machine by milling the table, crashing it, ejected a part through the side wall, took a hammer to it, destroyed way covers, set it on fire, or set off some TNT in it, that is a new machine. That is like buying a 1500 mile demo car off the dealer. If you are locked in to a price point, I wouldn't think you could go too wrong to get the used machine.

As to the pneumatics, I do not have a TM in the building, but our 2013 VF-2 has everything located in a central cabinet next to the electrical cabinet. So I would think it would have them that way, as well.

Good hunting!

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sorry you had a rough experience with the NGC, but they have in fact fixed a lot of the buggy issues with it. Unfortunately you probably purchased the machine when the NGC was first being introduced, but after updating them they're by far more capable of our performing the old control.. NGC has A LOT of new features that the older control couldn't even do at it's maxed output. If anyone purchases a newer machine they won't experience the issues you had and I'm sorry you had to go through them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

D.D. Machine

I'm a bit confused..Haas didn't started releasing machines with the NGC until sometime late last November 2016. It's now march 2017 that's only been 4-5 months of machines being built with the new NGC. Unless you bought a prototype machine I'm not sure how then could of been servicing it for 7 months when they weren't being built until mid to late last November.