Preferred Controllers 1990 to 07 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preferred Controllers 1990 to 07

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Preferred Controllers 1990 to 07

I have some older machines (1997, 1999, 2008) but we still use them alongside the newer equipment. The biggest limitation I hit with the older control is that you don't have much choice for the software options at this point, and also there were less options available back in those days. Some machines have expanded memory purchased right from the factory, but if you don't get lucky with that then you're stuck with the standard hardware. (or drip-feeding via serial RS232 connection)

In terms of performance, outside of the slower and less-powerful machine itself, I find the older control and motion systems are noticeably slower on acceleration and point-to-point rounding...so the NC programs have to be written with a more loose toolpath tolerance when roughing or performing fast motions. Some modern CAM systems don't even have that ability (lol) since the newer hardware has no problem. The older machines don't have any option for high-speed machining, so you can't buy it even if you wanted to spend the money. Obviously that depends on the specific control vintage, but suffice it to say a CRT machine won't have the option.

You can do 3d surfacing on the slower machines so long as you work with the speed limitations. We do some secondary 3d finishing on a 1999 VF1, which works fine but is noticeably slower compared to a color LCD machine, even if the newer machine also doesn't have HSM and is running the same programmed speeds and feeds. It's just limitations of the hardware of the era.

Anyway, those are very application-specific warnings, so you may not run into it often. It would depend on the types of parts you're making. Naturally "the newer, the better" but a gently used older CNC is a nice candidate for a lot of work.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    The older machines don't have any option for high-speed machining, so you can't buy it even if you wanted to spend the money. Obviously that depends on the specific control vintage, but suffice it to say a CRT machine won't have the option.

My 2001 TM-1 is a CRT machine and has the option for HSM (which is really just a larger look ahead buffer). The option does make a difference when the code has lots of smaller moves (the motion is smoother), but I still wouldn't call it "high speed". It just doesn't have big enough motors on the axes to accelerate them very quickly. Of course it is an entry level machine so I can't really complain.

C|

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ah no kidding, I thought it wasn't introduced until the superspeeds in like 03-04 or thereabouts. learn something new every day

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 1997 VF-2 with older software, still 4 number programs, and it has HSM too.

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12