Tool length offset question

Thread: Tool length offset question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool length offset question

Hi,

I've got a minimill and was wondering how to easily make a tool length offset ZERO. I don't want to Zero everything, just the tool in the spindle.

I can surely do it, just type the negative value in and press Enter, but there's probably an easier way. The book is nicely printed and bound but contained no answers to my questions yet....after a year. It surely would be nice if it had error codes - which it does not.

Thanks,
    Nelson

Similar Threads:
    i build the braces that keep american teeth straight......tick tick tick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tool length offset question

I set all my tool heights from the same position. We have a 50mm high setting gauge that we use, but you can use anything you want. A slip gauge or parallel with a bit of paper for feel. Set your tool against your setting tool, go to tool offset page and hit tool height measure button. Then move your tool up to your work piece, the G54 z dimension is the difference from your tool setting position to the top of your work piece (or wherever you want to set your g54 z zero from). If you material is above your tool set position g54 z will be a positive number and vice versa if material is below setting position.

I keep one tool holder set up with a piece of steel left in it that is set to my tool height gauge setter. This means that tool is a known height so I use that for setting my g54 z zero dimensions, so it doesn't matter how often I change tools over in other holders, as long as I set them to the same tool setting gauge they will jump straight into a program without any issues on height.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nelZ View Post
    Hi,

I've got a minimill and was wondering how to easily make a tool length offset ZERO. I don't want to Zero everything, just the tool in the spindle.

I can surely do it, just type the negative value in and press Enter, but there's probably an easier way. The book is nicely printed and bound but contained no answers to my questions yet....after a year. It surely would be nice if it had error codes - which it does not.

Thanks,
    Nelson
    It sounds like you want the most simplest way to do it

Then set G54 X Work ----Y Work----- Z=0 ( OFFSET Page Button )

Go to the tool setting page ( Offset Page, Page Up or Down ) touch off say tool 2 to the top of your work, and press the Tool Offset Measure Button, Just make sure the tool that you are setting is highlighted, and you are done

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I should be clearer.
    I use a 1" gage block all the time. I do the part zero set or tool offset measure buttons and then press -1. and enter - twice - since a caution screen comes up as you know.

I just want to know how to make the active tool Zero without punching in the current offset number with a negative sign in front. Some sort of Insert kind of function.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nelZ View Post
    I should be clearer.
    I use a 1" gage block all the time. I do the part zero set or tool offset measure buttons and then press -1. and enter - twice - since a caution screen comes up as you know.

I just want to know how to make the active tool Zero without punching in the current offset number with a negative sign in front. Some sort of Insert kind of function.

Thanks
    The caution screen comes up because you are using a large number -1.0 to add to the offset, this is a safety feature of the control, if you where using a smaller offset number then that would not happen, I use a plastic shim and this does not happen

Using a gauge block can damage the cutting tools edges, and is no more accurate than using a plastic shim

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Highlight desired offset register, type 0 then hit F1.

F1 overwrites. Enter adds.

Also, setting 142, "Offset Change Tolerance". Put a large number in it (mine's set to 30.000) and this should get rid of your double-hit issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks man. That's exactly what I needed. F1
    I don't mind the double hit. I use that as a think point if you know what I mean. I am creative but mistake prone and that slows me down a bit.
    Have a good day!
    Nelson

To be first brand CNC Router Manufacturer & Wholesaler Platform

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    Highlight desired offset register, type 0 then hit F1.

F1 overwrites. Enter adds.

Also, setting 142, "Offset Change Tolerance". Put a large number in it (mine's set to 30.000) and this should get rid of your double-hit issue.

For the setting 42 feature, if you set it to zero, then the control will take any value you give it without confirmation. WARNING!!! TO BE USED BY CONFIDENT PERSONELL ONLY! Ha Ha!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

pressing F2 will put a negative in front of the value. Found that out by accident...