Need Help! VF-4 Reloading parameters

Thread: VF-4 Reloading parameters

Downloads
    Uploads

Default VF-4 Reloading parameters

I have a 2009 Haas vf4,
    Machine was off for about 3 weeks.
    Started machine, noticed message about backup battery being low, then hit with multiple alarm codes , machine shuts down after 15 seconds due to over voltage alarm.

Ordered dual battery board assembly from Haas.
    Plugged in board then cut old batt loose.
    Same alarm messages and machine auto shuts down.

At this point I assume parameters were lost when battery failed during the 3 week shutdown.

Called HFO, helpful fellow emailed me a couple of pages on restoring parameters and directed me to the parameter that was causing timeout that initiated 15 sec shutdown.

Started machine and using the original USB backup that came with the machine I followed the loading parameters instructions on this page https://diy.haascnc.com/procedures/c...9xx-and-higher

the parameters definitely changed and the machine serial in setting 26 (If memory serves) changed from 0 to a negative number (-2millon).
    I am unable to change the machine serial, I am usure where its pulling this unfamiliar serial number from, Im loading the parameter file from the USB that came with the machine when I purchased it new.

Im still getting 5 or 6 alarms when I reboot. HFO says a trip to my shop is 9 hours drive time plus time spent at the shop. $900 in travel time alone to come reload parameters,

Any thoughts or help on how to get up and running today greatly appreciated

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by panaceabeachbum; 12-15-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VF-4 Reloading parameters

ok. 18 attempts was the charm.
    Parameters are loaded, still not sure why the serial number now shows negative 2 million.
    disappointed that such important data is loaded in a volatile memory that relies on a battery. I am not a programmer but I am pretty sure it would not be that hard to have the cpu automatically back up the parameters to a safer memory device for some amount of redundancy.

Just a thought HAAS

Last edited by panaceabeachbum; 12-16-2016 at 07:47 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tech coming out after the first.

Last edited by panaceabeachbum; 12-19-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks

Last edited by panaceabeachbum; 12-19-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you tried calling Oxnard yet? I have found them to be very helpful in the past.
    Might save you a house call.
    Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

I did, they said I needed the HFO to come reset the serial # and they would in no way tell me how it is done.

HFO did send a tech out after I called HAAS to fuss about the slow delay.

Tech said backup battery dying has damaged the main processor and it might need to be replaced. He had the same results I did but was able to change the serial. Machine now runs but tech is convinced the main computer is damaged. He did adjust tool changer which promptly slammed a large face mill into the way covers, first dent on my machine.

I was able to adjust tool arm correctly after he left and all seems to be working OK he did turn all my options back on except the expanded memory,tech said it wasn't on his list.

So poor design (or my not changing batt) only cost me a few weeks of down time, a 2.5 hour service call + 9 hours drive time, loss of expanded memory.

On a positive note the machine is running, I guess since I bought this machine new at the end of 2009 I should be really happy that I've never needed sevice

Last edited by panaceabeachbum; 01-02-2017 at 07:54 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by panaceabeachbum View Post
    I did, they said I needed the HFO to come reset the serial # and they would in no way tell me how it is done.

HFO did send a tech out after I called HAAS to fuss about the slow delay.

Tech said backup battery dying has damaged the main processor and it might need to be replaced. He had the same results I did but was able to change the serial. Machine now runs but tech is convinced the main computer is damaged. He did adjust tool changer which promptly slammed a large face mill into the way covers, first dent on my machine.

I was able to adjust tool arm correctly after he left and all seems to be working OK he did turn all my options back on except the expanded memory,tech said it wasn't on his list.

So poor design (or my not changing batt) only cost me a few weeks of down time, a 2.5 hour service call + 9 hours drive time, loss of expanded memory.

On a positive note the machine is running, I guess since I bought this machine new at the end of 2009 I should be really happy that I've never needed sevice
    I have never heard of a dead battery damaging the processor pcb, but strange things happen some times. It sounds like it is running fine for you now, so hopefully it stays that way.

Was the expanded memory purchased with the machine, or did you just get lucky when it was installed? If you purchased the option, call your dealer for the unlock code, they can give you instructions to enable it yourself.

Good luck!