EC-400 are they a ok machine?

Thread: EC-400 are they a ok machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default EC-400 are they a ok machine?

Yes I know the ec-400 is not up there with Kiwa or mori but are they ok? I need one for light alum work and I`m tired of doing it on a VF with a 4th axis ... I played years ago with there older HS1 model and the pallet changer on them was full on junk. But the rest of the machine was ok for light work ... I have done a lot of reading on the ec-400 models but all the guys keep saying it buy a mori in that there made stronger ,,, but I`m looking at light alum cutting only.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: EC-400 are they a ok machine?

Haven't worked on them but have known guys with them. They made them work just fine for what they needed. Probably the easiest step since you already know Haas.

Is there a reason you think they won't work for you? (other than people that say buy a Mori) You already know what a Haas is capable of. I'd bet the EC is a more robust machine than your VF4. Haas verticals with lots of -Y- travel get pretty dang weak IMO...so you are likely going to be pleasantly surprised.

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

90 % odf the machine is the same or VARY close to VF parts its mostly the pallet changer I was asking about ,,, the older HS1 machines were full on junk when it came to the pallet changer ,,, but it looks like haas changed the system on the newer EC machines ..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We've had our machine for about 5-6 years.
    The pallet pool is fine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Had ours for 5 years, palletpool version.

chip evacuation from machining area is good but after that chips go everywhere except on the conveyor (we fixed this with sheetmetal,time and swearing).
    Coolant tank is to small and the water does not circulate back into the tank as quick at it should, so it needs to be topped up.
    Coolant lines are made of something similar to garden hose these bend at restrict coolant flow (we exchanged all of them and now have hydraulic hoses that dont bend)
    Coolant nozzles clog up quickly because of chips bypassing conveyor and head straight into the tank. (installed filter)

Now for the really bad parts.

The machine has tipped a palett over once while doing a pallet change, it did not fall into the machining area luckily.
    The palettpool has crashed into the setup station 3 times, 1 time when an operator was changing workpieces.
    Drawbar collar thingy (dont really know what tthe part was), cracked and needed replacing at 2000 machine hours.
    This destroyed spindle bearings, so spindle replacement at 2000 hours.

Very light duty machine, much more so than i anticipated. Works for aluminium, steel was supposed to be run in this machine,
    but i leave that to our 25 year old mori that the haas was supposed to replace.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EC-400  are they a ok machine?-2016-03-10-11-06-02-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It will do what you want it to do, yes it's not a machine that cost 4x the amount of a mori. Although when something does break on a mori vs a Haas you better have patience for down time and a fat ass pocket book because it's going to cost you deeply.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    Yes I know the ec-400 is not up there with Kiwa or mori but are they ok? I need one for light alum work and I`m tired of doing it on a VF with a 4th axis ... I played years ago with there older HS1 model and the pallet changer on them was full on junk. But the rest of the machine was ok for light work ... I have done a lot of reading on the ec-400 models but all the guys keep saying it buy a mori in that there made stronger ,,, but I`m looking at light alum cutting only.
    Are you still looking for a EC 400?

Downloads
    Uploads

D.D.Machine, I have no information on the newer machines. Just wanted to agree with you on the older Haas horizontal machines. They seemed OK except for the pallet changer. What a POS. That crappy screw that came up to clamp the pallet was constantly jamming. They gave was a can of Anti-Seize to fix it! Lol. It didn't.
    However I have "heard" that the newer ones are far better. No personal experience. Good luck and tell us what you find if you go for it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 2005 Haas EC 400 for sale?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The HS models were a motor/screw to clamp the drawbar. The EC series completely redesigned the clamping of pallets. Keep the inside of the machining area relatively clean and your coolant up to par then you should be fine. The EC series uses air clamping cylinders.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mikel12,

Would you happen to have a picture of your chip convyor