Options for replacement VFD on '94 VF-0

Thread: Options for replacement VFD on '94 VF-0

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Options for replacement VFD on '94 VF-0

Greetings all!
    I'm attempting to help a good friend of mine out who's working through some hard times...

He's got a 1994 Haas VF-0, 3-phase, 5HP. When the machine boots up, it immediately displays a "149 - Spindle Error"
    The VFD is a Magnetek GPD503-DS307, it has the proper power going in, but no display or output.
    I've pulled it from the machine, and after removing the top board, see that there are burned traces around a large FET (Think it's a FET)
    and heatsink. We're looking at getting it repaired, but also considering replacing it. He's on a pretty tight budget, trying to get back on
    his feet after a major setback last year. I'm helping him however I can.
    I'm learning that there are some very specific parameters that need to be programmed into the VFD for use in the VF-0.
    What I'm trying to find out, without having to replace any other components, are there any other VFD's out there, that will accept the Haas setting/parameters, and be an acceptable replacement for the GPD503-DS307?

Any thoughts and opinions are welcome. The leaning right now, if a good friend of mine who used to do board repair can't fix it, we'll go ahead and send it into to a service center and have them refurbish it. Just looking for replacement options.

Just in case anyone else runs into this AND knows someone willing to tackle board repair, that Toshiba IC that's very difficult to read is a GT50J101!

Thanks VERY much!!

Ron

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Options for replacement VFD on '94 VF-0-20150522_122406-jpg   Options for replacement VFD on '94 VF-0-20150522_122442-jpg   Options for replacement VFD on '94 VF-0-20150522_122450-jpg   Options for replacement VFD on '94 VF-0-20150522_122510-jpg  

Last edited by AZ_Ron; 05-22-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Options for replacement VFD on '94 VF-0

Just had a Magnatek spindle drive on my VF-2 repaired. I believe it was $850.00. I paid for Overnight shipping both ways so about $1,400 all together.

The guy puts it back just the way it is supposed to be, with all the settings and parameters set. I sent it to him on a Monday morning and I got it back Thursday and had it installed in less than a half hour and up and running again.

Let me know if you want his info.

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Options for replacement VFD on '94 VF-0

Having yours repaired will be about the same price or less than buying a different model drive outright. Most places that repair these drives will sell you a refurbished drive that way you dont have to wait for yours to be repaired. They ship you a drive, then you ship yours back to them and get your core charge refunded. Im thinking about $1200 bucks for a refurbished drive. Ive done this many times now. I have used Precision Zone many times.