Super Mini not homing properly

Thread: Super Mini not homing properly

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Super Mini not homing properly

Hello,
    I have a 2008 Haas S-Mini with series 16 software. For some reason when I walked away from my machine, I returned to a "NO X AXIS" error, I hit reset and got the " NO X ZERO" message displayed on start up before homing, I hit "power up restart" , Z and Y homed properly but X went in the complete opposite direction of factory home. It kept homing in the wrong direction until it could go no further, stopped and displayed "X AXIS TOO MUCH" .
    I am currently waiting on service but if anybody can tell me what is wrong, you would be the most Elite! I'm thinking X encoder or something to do with the X limit switch.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Super Mini not homing properly

Chips on, or stuck X axis limit switch.

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Chips on, or stuck X axis limit switch.

Mike
    Yep! +1

Downloads
    Uploads

You have been told the cause of the problem but nobody mentioned how to get the X axis off the hard stop at the end of the ballscrew; I am guessing that is how the machine is sitting while you are waiting.. Power the machine up but DO NOT press auto restart. Go to Setting 53 JOG W/O ZERO RETURN and turn it on; right cursor, then WRITE (I think).

Now be careful: Select Handle Jog and X axis and jog the axis away from the end of its travel. Watch the axis load display as you do this, it will spike up as you click the jog wheel but should settle back close to zero between clicks. If the load does not settle back check you are going the correct way. If you are going the correct way and the load keeps climbing wait for the service guy, something might be damaged.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the prompt replies guys! Got in touch with a tech over the phone and he had the same thing to say...it was a chip on the X axis limit switch, (located approx. mid rear table just behind that first upper guard)
    Yes, setting 53(ON) does allow jogging without home first in .001 increments.

Thank you all again I'm back in business!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Yep! +1
    I third that. Usually a chip On the sensor or a stuck home limit switch.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by oshuab View Post
    Thanks for the prompt replies guys! Got in touch with a tech over the phone and he had the same thing to say...it was a chip on the X axis limit switch, (located approx. mid rear table just behind that first upper guard)
    Yes, setting 53(ON) does allow jogging without home first in .001 increments.

Thank you all again I'm back in business!
    Does anyone know just where to find the X Limit switch on the HAAS Mini Mill?
    When doing a power up restart, the table travels all the way to the left hitting the end of it's travel and then generating an X Limit error code.
    I believe the problem to be a stuck or bad switch.
    HELP!