NEED HELP ASAP HAAS VF3 RS232 Connection

Thread: NEED HELP ASAP HAAS VF3 RS232 Connection

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default NEED HELP ASAP HAAS VF3 RS232 Connection

Hello all, I am really under the gun here and need some help. The company I work for recently bought a 1995 HAAS VF3 and we need to be able to send it GCode files via RS232. I really need some input on the computer interface side as we have been unable to figure out how to communicate with the machine. I have tried Connect CNC with all the correct settings and I can't get any data to send or recieve on either end. The only non standard part we are using is a RS232 to USB converter purchased from JB Saunders (and yes I have installed the drivers). Please let me know what I am doing wrong as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone for the help,

helfires688

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP HAAS VF3 RS232 Connection

What settings are you setting them to and what is the length of the cable? Are you sure you have the pins wired correctly on the cable?

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

^ this above ... one that's been confirmed ....I'd recommend stepping down to 9600 baud, just to get a connection. If you can get the machines communicating, you can then try to speed things up until you start having problems.

With those USB converters, they create a dynamic comm port. On my machine, it's strange, but time to time windows will alternate between Com5 and Com7. With the converted NOT plugged in, go into the control panel, open up your devices... go to the com port section and let it sit there.. pay attention to what you already have port wise (if any, may have an on board Com1/2).... then plug in the converter.. give it a few seconds and see what port # windows just configured.... then go into your software and be sure it's set for that.

I use a converter and it's finiky sometimes but I made a cable from the ports on the cabinet, fed it through my pendant arm and I have a laptop station beside my pendant... so my cables is a good 8-10' ... but there's time when I can send or receive a file and then it will stop.. I sometimes have to unplug the converter and plug it back in ... once you get things going you'll find the little kwirks if any.

FYI, the cable pin out you need is what's called a NULL MODEM ... you can search the internet and find the pinouts...

Good luck

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do you guys transfer data to CNC machines on the computer end? Do you use some sort of DNC software?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by helfires688 View Post
    How do you guys transfer data to CNC machines on the computer end? Do you use some sort of DNC software?
    Yes, I use Predator. Now, if you want to really get this going, how about answering our questions?

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My apologies Mark, I am using the following settings

403 Forbidden

And cable length is less than 3 ft the Rs232 to USB is connected directly to the port on the side of the HAAS Control Box

Downloads
    Uploads

What are you using to send with and what are its settings? Control Box----do you mean electrical housing? Are you on Serial Port #1 on the rear housing?

Last edited by Machineit; 08-25-2014 at 04:57 PM. Reason: sp

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, the electrical housing, and we are using serial port 1.

Downloads
    Uploads

helfires688,

For us to help you out we need to have all of the information that's available in order to figure out what is wrong. You drip info to us like a DNC feed on 8 baud! The emergency and urgency was on your end, not mine. If a one sentence reply is all you are capable of, then I'm out. Fix it your damn self! My time is too valuable than to waste it on this. I have my own company to run.

Last edited by Machineit; 08-25-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My apologies Machineit, what specific details can I give you?

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you absolutely sure it's your computer's USB com port number 1? The weird thing with USB plugs is that they're assigned port numbers even though you might not know it. I've seen a lot of people working in industry that completely write-off the USB-serial converters because "they just don't work" when in reality they haven't identified the correct port on their computer.

My personal laptop has three USB plugs, which are ports 4, 5, 6. It can't be adjusted. One of the software programs I use (from the 90's) will only recognizes ports 1-4, so I *must* install my converter to the correct USB port. Otherwise it won't work. You may have to identify your particular computer's ports and ensure they fit with the DNC software you're using.
    On my work computer it's ports 3,4,5. more choices but again if you were to plug it into port 5 then it won't do the job.

dresnerm mentioned it earlier but check your device manager if you're unsure which ports are where. On windows vista, 7, and 8 you can start typing "device manager" into the start menu and it'll automatically search for it. Otherwise you can find it in the control panel.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEED HELP ASAP HAAS VF3 RS232 Connection-untitled-png  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

helfires 688,
    try to use CIMCO EDit V5, you need to register rs232 port first. works for me

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Saltech View Post
    helfires 688,
    try to use CIMCO EDit V5, you need to register rs232 port first. works for me
    Three year old post. Probably got it fixed by now.