Newbie Do Haas toolroom machines us scales - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do Haas toolroom machines us scales

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Do Haas toolroom machines us scales

Sounds like a big advantage to high resolution rotary encoders over a linear scale . thanks for the info. It could come in real handy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Never had glass scales on a CNC that I ran. I imagine one use would be correcting for back-lash? That's a big issue for me when I'm indicating a hole in tenths. So would the software keep turning the axis motor til it moved the actual amount?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    Never had glass scales on a CNC that I ran. I imagine one use would be correcting for back-lash? That's a big issue for me when I'm indicating a hole in tenths. So would the software keep turning the axis motor til it moved the actual amount?
    Yes, it would move to the position disregarding backlash. But if you have backlash then it would not hold position anyway if it is in the ballscrew. It might help if it is coming from a coupling, but I just don't see it as necessary. I have been lucky not to have a mill with any noticeable backlash. Even my old 96 Haas is dead on. I have another older Haas mill coming in a couple of weeks and that is what I am always leery of. I will check it and cross my finger that it is good.

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

Problem with scales and backlash, some systems will hunt the motor causing vibrations. Cincinnati's were somewhat famous for that. Different types of scales as well, laser scales can get down to millionths resolution, and since they use zerodur(sp?) Glass, they are super temp stable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting. Thanks guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12