Haas minimill, what should I know...

Thread: Haas minimill, what should I know...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Haas minimill, what should I know...

Hello all,
    I presently own a Tormach and looking to add a Haas minimill with rotary table (probably HRT 160) , ethernet, HSM look ahead, rigid tap, coolant kit, transformer.

Anything I should know? Thank's for any input.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Just how to run it.

It is debatable whether HSM is worth it on a MiniMill because the rpm and power is limited so you cannot run really fast. The HRT160 is the largest rotary that will fit comfortably in the Mini because the Z clearance is restricted.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not sure why you'd need a transformer (you only have 440V?).

I'd also question Ethernet. That's a very pricey option to pay for, just to avoid using a thumbdrive.

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Freddy

Drop the Ethernet get the extra memory this is better than the Ethernet I have had both HSM is a must on this machine it make's it run a lot smoother it is on all the time & works on machining of your part it does not matter how fast you are going whether it is 1 IPM or 100 IPM it's still on & working it does not work for drilling type cycles just contour's type machining

Early power detect is good as if you have a power cut while cutting the tool will go down into the work the early power detect stops this from happening

And whats the transformer for

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, if I had it to do over again, I'd get the Early Power Failure Detect option. I've lost 2 parts due to power failure and starting biting my nails whenever there is a storm. I'm in Florida so my nails are getting shorter this time of year.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    Yeah, if I had it to do over again, I'd get the Early Power Failure Detect option. I've lost 2 parts due to power failure...
    It can be retro-fitted.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fairly easy to get it in the initial purchase. Very difficult to get funding after the fact. I tried.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank's for your replys.

Ok so I don't need a transformer, you're right.

Ethernet? How do you guys transfers your programs? Are you using the USB? RS232? Now I'm using mach3 to control my machine. I just drop my program in the correct drive and I'm done, very easy.

HSM? humm I think I need it. I plan to buy a NSK spindle for high rpms.I was looking at the super minimill for the rpm's but at 10000 rpms I don't think it's worth the extra price.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Freddy

USB for loading your files it is very easy with the thumb-drives

Don't forget the extra memory 16MB they only come with 1MB of ram, You can run from the USB port for very large programs this may be stopped on the new machines there was some talk of it

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have the etherne/HD option for the 06' VF-2, but that was when usb was not a standard option. Ethernet makes life a lot easier when transferring programs but I think the same can be accomplished with a usb memory stick so recently I ordered the SR-100 without the ethernet/hd option.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi I just bought a 2002 haas mini mill and if I could change it to my preference I would have rigid tap,extended Z axis 4 inch,programable coolant,chip auger,higher flow coolant 3/4 hp pump,plastic top to stop splashing, and the super mini would be nice to have via the 10k spindle
    if you do alum work.

I would get the extended z axis for sure if you are putting a rotary table on this but would be nice any wayand this will be something that I dont think you can put on later.Most of the other options you can put on later.

Just my opinion good luck I was unsure if I would like the mini since I am used to my vf3 but so far seems to be very nice I just go about things a little different. Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes the 4" Z lift is a factory option and it is well worth the extra cost. We have four of them all equipped with HRT210s running rotary fixtures.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Freddy

I would get the MiniMill2 if you want the extra 4" in the Zaxes it is a much more rigid machine than the MiniMill with the added 4" in the Zaxes you also get 4" more in the X&Y axes as well

The spindle nose to table on the MiniMill with the extra 4" in the Z is 8" from the table with14" of travel without the 4" Z lift it is 4" to the table with14" of travel this means you need long tools to reach a job on the table or in a vice if you got the extra 4" in the Z

The MiniMill 2 the spindle nose is 4" from the table with18" of travel

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well...
    The more I look at the Haas machine, the less I want to buy it. For the same price (or less), I can have a AkiraSeiki JR-VX with a M70 control. It look's a lot superior in my opinion. I found the options on the Haas pretty expensive (a lot of the options are not options on others machines, they come standard with the machine). I'm still looking at this, thank's for all the inputs!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Freddy,
    dont rule them out just yet. I didnt think a haas was wortha crap until I saw Geofs pictures and vids. I called the local guy, wife saw the 5th axis and had to have to have it. I was still thinking it wasnt going to be good for anything but light cutting.
    I had some issues with it mainly tool holders and a bad spindle( demo machine) once we got that all fixed Damn that machine cuts great. it hogs more material than my 40x20 fadal does and alot faster, I am very impressed. I wont know how impressed until I run it for a year.
    What did impress me the most was the excelent service I got from the HFO when a problem arrised.

as far as the options dollar for dollar your not getting anymore on any other machine I am willing to say your getting less on other machines in the haas class.
    One really nice thing is you decide you want an option later on down the road, pick up the phone and have a crdit card handy and you can turn it on, instead of having a tech coming out to install it.( on certain options)