VF2SSYT X Axis way covers failing

Thread: VF2SSYT X Axis way covers failing

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default VF2SSYT X Axis way covers failing

Hope some of you can help with a problem I am having on my Haas VF2SSYT machines. I currently have 11 of these machines and 6 of them had failing X axis way covers. They range from 6 months to 3 years old, all with the same options. Haas tells me that we are the only ones in the world with this problem. I was wondering if anybody out there is having any of the same issues?

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

In what way are they failing? The seals? Bending? If you are having so many failures, I'd have to wonder if it's coolant related (eating the seals), the material you're dealing with (cast iron, graphite or?), or even an operator that leans on the covers during loading and unloading.

I'm not saying any of those are true; just some guesses without more information.

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All of our mills have a 2 axis twin spindle indexer which has us rapiding to an X machine position of -29.000 for a safe tool change position. Also we machine small titanium and stainless parts with a oil based coolant (approved by Haas). Now for the covers and where they are failing is two different spots. The first is the tiny little L shaped bracket that supports the end of the cover. This bracket will crack and cause the cover to flex(bind) and not collapse and expand properly. The second place is the tackwelds are coming apart that hold the shoulders together on each section. These shoulders keep each section from coming apart from one another when expanding and collapsing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

we have 13 Haas machines ranging from 1992 to 2009 and I have never had an x axis way cover problem just an occasional z cover problem. I would guess your problem maybe be coolant related?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CTHaas View Post
    ...... rapiding to an X machine position of -29.000 for a safe tool change position. .....

..... where they are failing is two different spots. The first is the tiny little L shaped bracket that supports the end of the cover. This bracket will crack and cause the cover to flex(bind) and not collapse and expand properly. The second place is the tackwelds are coming apart that hold the shoulders together on each section. These shoulders keep each section from coming apart from one another when expanding and collapsing.
    I think it is your frequent rapids to X-29.0000; and I guess you also rapid back.

Every time you do this move the way covers are fully extended at a full rapid, I think the shock loading is fatigung the stainless steel. I know on my VF2s with only 1000ipm rapids you can hear the clang as each section of the telescoped covers is hit by the shoulder of the adjacent one and starts moving.

I would try two things:

Slow down the X axis rapids to reduce the shock loading; which will increase the tool change time by quite a bit even if you only did it to the X.

Alternatively:

Get funky. Calibrate where the X axis is when each shoulder makes contact to start moving the next cover section; rapid to just before that then drop down to a fast feed for the distance needed to let the scetions make contact then go back to a rapid. This will reduce the impact but not seriously increase the toolchange time

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Haas tells me that we are the only ones in the world with this problem.
    You are not alone, We have 2 VF2SS machines (about 3 years old) with TR160 trunnions on them, so for each tool change the table has to move to the extents of each axis. We have had the X & Y axis way cover fail several times between the two machines. Each time we have just replaced them and crossed our fingers. HAAS doesn't seem to have a solution for this problem.

I don't know why they would say no-one else is experiencing the same problems when the inventory list would show VF2SS way covers being bought. And our HFO has requested information from the factory about it.

Andrew.

VF3+TRT210, VF3, VF2+HRT160, VF2SS+TR160, VF2SS+TR160, VF5TR, VF5TR, VF2SS+HRT-210HSHS,VF2SS+HRT-210HSHS,VF2SS+HRT-210HSHS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Andrew,

What kind of coolant are you using? Is it water or oil based?

CJ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Andrew,

What kind of coolant are you using? Is it water or oil based?

CJ
    It is a water based soluable oil cooant (FUCHS ecocool 420) mix at 5%.

Adnrew.

VF3+TRT210, VF3, VF2+HRT160, VF2SS+TR160, VF2SS+TR160, VF5TR, VF5TR, VF2SS+HRT-210HSHS,VF2SS+HRT-210HSHS,VF2SS+HRT-210HSHS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I move my table to 40 , 0 away to change tools also ....

But I have never used Rapids over 50 % ...

It just seems like a 800lb rotary or trunnion isn't smart to have it

moving around @ 700 imp ..

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I haven't had my way covers off yet, but the clanging-together theory seems reasonable. Can foam or rubber bumpers be glued in, under the covers? If you just take the spike off of that instantaneous 'clank', they'd probably stop failing.

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Well, I haven't had my way covers off yet, but the clanging-together theory seems reasonable. Can foam or rubber bumpers be glued in, under the covers? If you just take the spike off of that instantaneous 'clank', they'd probably stop failing.
    I've only had my vf2ss a few weeks and man that machine clanks bad. the rest of the machine is quiet but those covers are pretty darn loud.
    I havent taken them off either I am wondering if a spring would help them like they have on fadals?

Delw

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    This would probably help but there is not a lot of room between the sections when the table is at either limit so you would not be able to put in much cushioning. Also I suspect your cushions would just chew up and disintegrate.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well instead of waiting for Haas to come up with a fix, I will be sending a set of covers out to my welder to be reinforced with some small welds on the underside. Also Haas finally decided to send someone from California to check and see why they are failing. I will keep you guys posted

C.J.