What's you're program numbering strategy?

Thread: What's you're program numbering strategy?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default What's you're program numbering strategy?

I just bought my first Haas! Now that I've had her for a week and I've run a bunch of VQC, a few test programs and I finally quit puckering up every time I see how fast the probe flys into the part on the first touch off I'm ready to start running some jobs. I've already run into program numbering annoyance when I create a new file or try to load a new file and there is already a file with that number. I don't want to delete it without knowing what it is. Going and checking is a time waster. I'd rather have each code have a unique number and I'll delete when I have time to check them.

My Google searches have turned up zilch on my attempts to figure out how people normally set their program numbers. I can't figure out an easy or logical (to me) way to create a numbering strategy without having to keep an Excel doc open all the time or open the USB every time I start or save a new program.

I am thinking using O1####O2#### for programs created on machine (which I do a LOT via MDI), O3####-O5#### for CAM generated, O6 for tested good programs to save (on USB) and O8#### for my production parts. That would require checking the USB to see the next available sequence number every time.

If it were a few more digits I could use a simple date code like I do now for most Windows stuff.

I'm curious what methods or clever strategies other use for the limited and required 5 digit file name.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What's you're program numbering strategy?

We don't keep program's by number. We store ours on our PC saved as the drawing number. That way we only have max 3-4 programs in the machine at any one time. Depending on number of operations. Whether we use CAM to produce them or write then longhand on the machine we do the same. As soon as the job is finished, if the program's are old proven jobs we dump them, if they are new and have just been proven for the first time we send them back to the PC and save them in their own drawing number file with revisions, op numbers etc. that way you can stick in any other info to that part file you like setup pics etc. makes it easier to find them next time too, just search for the drawing number and hey presto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I struggled with this for a while too, really I think it's more up to prefernce and what works best given the computer software you have available. Myself I can tell you what I do in my particular situation....I just use a spreadsheet to record the program numbers kindof like you mentioned. The spreadsheet is on the shop computer with a shortcut right on the desktop and in the start menu so it's always instantly accessible. I don't bother printing it out since I find it easier to just open the document and hit Ctrl+F to search it. It's up to me for updating it, which is kindof meticulous, but hey I like that stuff.

Our programs are almost always CAM-generated so technically somebody could open the appropriate file to see its details and figure out what needs to be done, but I find even a brief reference helpful to avoid digging around for the correct file. Once the NC programs are proven there's no need to re-post them unless something gets tweaked.
    We keep datasheets of every recurring product (printed out) to show details like length/CDC wear, common adjustments made to work offsets, critical dimensions (there's only a couple per component). This comes in handy since we use some of the same tools for multiple workpieces, and it avoids the need to perform the same "dial-in" adjustments over and over. Like for instance a corner rounding endmill getting blended nicely with the two adjacent surfaces, then doing the exact same thing two weeks later, well that's just a waste of time.

We do a lot of workpieces that are multi-sided, thus they have consecutive programs for side1-2-3-4 or whatever the case may be. On my spreadsheet I'll dedicate 10 numbers (or more) to one particular workpiece then describe all the work processes in general terms (eg. machine all side 1 features, machine to finish height, turn full profile, etc). I also take a picture of the finished item(s) still in the machine and have a hyperlink to the picture inside the spreadsheet. All of the pictures are inside the same folder and nothing ever gets deleted or renamed in order to preserve the hyperlinks. But this way anybody viewing it can instantly see the broad details for the workholding and the orientation of the workpiece for each process.

The only problem with this system is I have two newer machines that use 5-digit program numbers, then two older machines that only take 4 digit numbers. So for those there's a bit of inconsistent numbering, but I can't do anything about that without overwriting the numbers.

Programs like single-use softjaws or fixture building or whatever, well I don't care about those numbers. I save the CAM files but don't bother recording any details since there's a low chance of it being referenced later. I only bother with the recurring stuff.

Anyway, like I said that's what I do...something similar might work in your case, just depends on how you want to keep organized..

Downloads
    Uploads

I like both ideas and thought it interesting you both mentioned taking pictures. I think I might try and find the charger for my waterproof camera so I don't end up dropping my phone into the auger full of coolant.

Definitely sounds like keeping the organization will require dedicated sheet or at least folders under the jobs. The job I ran today I put back into the folder in Windows with the Print, Solid, CAM and Setup sheet. Perhaps I should investigate add pics and just do what I am doing and add an excel doc on top of it. Its one of those "I don't mind using the system but don't have time to set it up yet". I will throw something together and just re-number each program if I go back to it later. I guess there really is no benefit to it having its own unique program number for life.

Thank you. I really appreciate the details! Almost everything I make is 3+ set ups so it really would be useful to start tracking outside my head and taking pictures since my operator in training will some day hopefully be doing his own set up and proofing. Hopefully.

On my computer I have a folder named Manufacturing in it is another folder named part numbers in it are individual folders for all my customers in them are a master folder for the specific part number. The master folder will have every thing needed for that part(cam program,nc code,tool list,setup instructions,setup pictures,etc.) I name the nc program the same as the part number with the internal O# using the last three digits of the part number and putting the operation number in front of it.
    Example. part number 2005900 the nc file name for Operation #1 will be 2005900 OP1.NC with the internal O# being O1900.
    Operation #2 will be 2005900 OP2.NC with the internal O# being O2900.

Hope this helps

Downloads
    Uploads

I realized I can change it right on the control when I plug it in and find a conflict. it makes it easier so I can continue my current naming structure and just make everything O00001 sequentially during the day. Tonight before shutting down I erased the files I don't need (test files for different ops and speeds, DOC etc) and changed the numbers on a few to O10001 and so on. That way anything loaded won't conflict and I can just about remember how many files I've done in one day. Some days.

Holy crap I love this control! I've had the machine for 9 days (only the last 3 with it turned on) and I'm comfortable loading programs, editing, running, WIP probing, using VQC and just about everything else I've played with.

I still have a lot of "hidden features" to find and remember like F2 while editing to select blocks from current line and Lord knows what else.

Definitely need to start programming the probing into the code because loading them from VQC is a time killer.

Lots more questions I'm sure but I sure am loving my new toy

Brian
    WOT Designs

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i would be carefull about using the numbers 8 and 9 for programs ( o08000 o09000) using these series of numbers is usually designated for probe and maco programs. i had a new programer writing programs with these and was overiding the probe programs. there is a setting to lock these from being changed.
    i use the following
    o1xxxx ...for standard programs
    o2xxxx...for parts needing a second operation
    o3xxxx...for when needed
    o4xxxx.. i use for something temporary or a test
    o5xxxx..is for a standard program i modified for a common rework situation

the rest of the digits i use the last numbers of the drawing #
    i then put the full drawing number in parenthesis ( 625-0002-2546 Rev PO1) then the end of block ;
    i can look up the full drawing number on the machine screen if needed if done like this.
    all programs are stored on a pc. so you also need a good system for stuff there. when you have hundreds of different parts like in a manufacturing setting its easy to lose controll of.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice. I started using drawing numbers (O1###[side]) and it's working well so far but I'm going so slow trying to figure all the little things out I'm not making much progress.

New CAM and new control at the same time maybe wasn't a great idea... But I'm getting there.

Having some issues with macros on the Haas but I'll post a new thread for that

Brian
    WOT Designs

Downloads
    Uploads

Wait until you are doing production and have several machines and want to be able to run any part on any machine; with the machines having different maximum rpm and horsepower. Now you have to have machine specific versions of the programs and when you make about 400 different parts with each part needing a couple of programs it gets really complicated.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have begun to think about this lately too. I was thinking of a system based on a customer number and print number. One of the issues I have is that I have over 1000 programs and I would probably have to renumber them.

Unlike some, I do not leave a lot of programs in the machine when not in use. I also am constantly modifying programs as they run to make them better and faster, so they are constantly replaced in my computer.

I do keep a basic program group in the control. They are O00001 thru whatever, like O00020 or so. These are programs like Basic Drill and Tap, Basic Surfacing, G13 ( A great Haas function), Pins( for doing round contours with compensation), etc.. These can be quickly modified to do so many functions.

The issue I have with changing it all is that even print numbers and all will repeat. The human brain, even with what 99,000 program numbers available, we will try to use the same numbers. I myself lie O30000 series numbers.

I think the overall best strategy is not to keep many numbers in the control, keep them in customer files and send and receive as needed.

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't even bother keeping anything relative to parts in the O##### schema. I use txt extensions rather than nc. I name the text file, so the name matches what part and op I'm doing. I don't care what O# is inside the file. In fact, now lots of them are just O00001.

This is the same as our other non-haas machine, so to me the O# being inside the program is kinda redundant complexity, and the file name works just great because it's a part name in english.

On our server, I do a structure like this:

Part name > CAD >current >fixtures&jigs
    >archive
    >CAM
    >current >posts
    >archive

I just set up my master file structure and then just copy it and rename to the next part, so each part I do has the same structure for files.

So to make a part, grab the post from the "current" CAM directory and walk to the mill. If I do a part on the controller, it's usually not a save file, and if it is, then just rename it to a text file later when done, save it to the server, etc.

To me, this is way easier than keeping an Excel file to manage file names that are cryptic and don't make sense to me (O59928, etc.). For me, part names are much easier to use than part numbers or program numbers.

Downloads
    Uploads

There are a bunch of different philosophies, I think it boils down to which suits your operation best. In any case, you need to keep documentation.

I like to use the job number with description in the program of which machine it's run on along with the tooling. That way you've got a record of who the customer is, when it was run, which print, and so forth.
    We use sequential job numbering, and since I didn't start the system, it's lacking any coherence, but at least we've got a number.
    You could incorporate a number that references a particular customer, along with a customer's job number... ie: Customer 12's job # 134 could be prog # O12134 .... That's 99 customers and 999 jobs/customer.

Geof's issue of which machine means you've got to document at least within the program where it goes. If you've got a job tracking system and work flow then you should be able to call up the history for a future run.

With 2 different guys (I'm one) programming and using programs previously done by a 3rd, there's no real system in place now, and we need to slowly fix it. Lack of a system, whatever one we settle on, is costing money.

As CTAC mentions, part names is an easy way to approach it, but we've found that there's too many part names that overlap. Everybody wants us to make Bracket, Upper.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Totally makes sense. I think this could be easily done with folders on the server, too.

Customer>Job#>CAD
    >CAM >Machine A
    > Machine B

Then Bracket,Upper could be in multiple customer folders, just have to make sure the right one is sent to the machines. Not sure about making anything foolproof, though,I think that is asking a lot from a 5-digit numbering schema. It's too bad that Haas can't upgrade that, kind of like our 8-digit file naming limit on a DOS based bridgeport controller.

My personal pref is to make things human-readable whenever possible vs. codes, but if it ain't broke...

Downloads
    Uploads

Before I (or I should say my company) had the problem of identifying programs with parts and machines we had the problem of keeping track of hundreds of jigs and fixtures involved in making our parts. Unlike digital records which take up negligible physical space, these jigs and fixtures took up a lot of real space. When we had finally converted completely to CNC we threw out about 3 tons of obsolete tooling. Of course those 3 tons of tooling had generated the income and profit that allowed us to start buying CNC machines so I really have no complaints.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Try2ki55

The numbers strategy usually corresponds to major and has a sequence and is considered as a result of complex numbers. It could be a miracle but once I had the result of 1010 that appeared in my life very seldom. After many times I have decided that it could be mean something more and it does not appear so many times without reason