Tool Unclamped Spontaneously for No Apparent Reason - Haas VF-3

Thread: Tool Unclamped Spontaneously for No Apparent Reason - Haas VF-3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool Unclamped Spontaneously for No Apparent Reason - Haas VF-3

I was doing nothing, no program was running, the machine was just sitting there, and the tool popped out of the spindle. Air blew out the spindle (as during a tool change) for about five seconds, then silence. It was as if a ghost pushed the Tool Release button. Here's a photo with no tool in the spindle. Pretty much the same with a tool clamped in. I see that the Clamp Switch isn't being pushed in as far as possible. Should I try to adjust it?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool Unclamped Spontaneously for No Apparent Reason - Haas VF-3-tool_clamp_switch-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tool Unclamped Spontaneously for No Apparent Reason - Haas VF-3

The switch has to go only until it moves enough to make contact. If it did not make contact, you would get an alarm.

Sounds like a short somewhere in the switch cable or a control defect/error. First I would go into setting graphics and disable the tool release button on the panel, just to make sure the button on the panel is not bad and making contact by itself.

Then check the wiring and the switch on the column to make sure it is okay. Have to admit, I have not seen this before. Remember that there are only a couple of modes where the tool can be released in the first place, MDI and JOG that I can remember right off the bat.

It should not be able to do a tool release during a program and if it does, it would be a serious control issue.

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    The switch has to go only until it moves enough to make contact. If it did not make contact, you would get an alarm.

Sounds like a short somewhere in the switch cable or a control defect/error. First I would go into setting graphics and disable the tool release button on the panel, just to make sure the button on the panel is not bad and making contact by itself.

Then check the wiring and the switch on the column to make sure it is okay. Have to admit, I have not seen this before. Remember that there are only a couple of modes where the tool can be released in the first place, MDI and JOG that I can remember right off the bat.

It should not be able to do a tool release during a program and if it does, it would be a serious control issue.

Mike
    Agree!

First suspect is the remote tool release button on the head. These can short out due to coolant contamination of the switch plug, the switch itself or even damaged cables from improper head cover installation.

Less likely, but still possible is the tool release button on the keypad.

Good luck!

Or Ghosts have taken over your machine! Watch your back!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yup, I just disable the panel switch so there are no rookie mistakes!

Otherwise----------------------------------------------------------We're here to help!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool Unclamped Spontaneously for No Apparent Reason - Haas VF-3-ghost-jpg   Tool Unclamped Spontaneously for No Apparent Reason - Haas VF-3-save-jpg  
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Machineit & Haastec-

Thanks for your replies. The control panel tool release button was disabled when the incident occurred. I inspected the column release switch and wires. I don't see any evidence of a short, or a place where a short might have occurred. Not sure what to do. I think I'll just put the column front panel back on, continue using the machine, & see if it happens again. It's reassuring to know that an errant unclamp is extremely unlikely to happen while a program is running. If I'm able to definitively isolate the source of the problem, I'll post what I found.

Thanks again.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

99% sure I found the problem. The flood coolant was leaking inside the head. The wires to the release switch were soaked. I thought I would be okay temporarily with the column front panel and switch removed; but the electrical connector was resting on the bottom plate as coolant was flowing over it. The tool released spontaneously. The coolant is a surprisingly good conductor.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmmmm!

Ghosts would have made a better story, but glad you got it figured out.

Except now you have another problem to fix. It has been coverered here many times, but there are a couple of plates that you will need to reseal. Do a search and you should find plenty of info about the task. One thing to remember though, is do not skimp on the dry time or you will be doing it a second time.

Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    One thing to remember though, is do not skimp on the dry time or you will be doing it a second time.

+1

Mike