SL-20 Lathe went wacky!

Thread: SL-20 Lathe went wacky!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default SL-20 Lathe went wacky!

ok guys...I am not all that new to this field...having been in now for 12 years but today was a new one for me. We have had our SL-20 for a few months now and I have not been all that impressed with any of it (our HL-4 I love though) but tiday was insane. I was running a part, programmed fine, first pieced it fine, then during the third run THE CHUCK UNCLAMPED! WHILE IT WAS RUNNING!! Now, normally one cannot even do this on this machine manually while the program is running, BUT NO ONE WAS NEAR THE FOOT PEDAL AT ALL!! It was 93 degrees in the shop and very humid....could this have possibly played a part? Or perhaps that it was storming out?--although not even a flicker occured in the shop. I really need to come up with something here or I am not feeling all that confident about putting operators in front of this machine, ya know? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tommi

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry unclamped

hey
    had the same thing happen on our sl20 new in june 06. happened to me after about 25 pcs. no one was near the machine. called haas , said they never heard of this. very scarey now. hopefully it never happen again.

jeff@or

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds very dangerous. I've had one of our HAAS mills just start making it's own tool paths in the middle of a proven program but could not figure out what happened.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The hydraulic system has a safety check valve for instances when power is lost. That keeps the draw tube pressurized even if the pump stops running. Did it actually say chuck unclamped on the control? If not, how many rpm's were you running? How heavy was the part you were turning? What chuck pressure are you running?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This was quite a while ago but our HL-20 crashed hard while in the middle of a proven job. I was running the machine so it's not like operator error or anything.

Crashing Sucks!
    www.reliancemachine.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

my control actually said "unclamped" and the spindle stop. when I opened the door the part was hanging out of the jaws. Since I wasn't staring right at the machine, I am not exactly sure what the controls were reading the second before that, only that it was running and I turned towards another machine for a moment and then back and saw that it said "unclamped" and after my moment of "WTF??" I opened it up and saw the part hanging and the spindle stopped. It was in a G71 and obviously on the rapid z out move while facing because there was no damage to my insert or part. I didn't notice any power glitch nor did any of the other machines go askew.
    Tommi

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a pure guess but it has happend to me.

part taking a cut chuck pressure was low to keep from distorting the piece and when the tool came in it knocked the peice slightly and then on retract it yanked it out of the chuck, the chuck then closes more because its still under pressure and the alarm chuck unclamped comes on.

its happend to me before. one other thing that I've had happen is the low pressure switch stopped responding and I spun the chuck up to 4k and not enough pressure to hold the peice and bang boom!

thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think my pressure was adequate at 300 psi. I think we have figured out why...at least we are hoping. Our tailstock pressure jumps around considerably even when not in use...so we lowered that and it no longer jumps and we have had no more issues. This is probably coincidental...but you know doing [I]something[I] feels better than just nothing and hoping it never happens again...lol.
    Tommi