VF-2 Wiring Question...Where does manufactured leg from phase converter go? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VF-2 Wiring Question...Where does manufactured leg from phase converter go?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by super95awd View Post
    Well just to follow up, neither my service manager nor my install tech said that it mattered which leg of the breaker the generated leg went to. I left mine on L3 and all seems fine.
    It is a case of which is preferable, if you have solid state control circuitry it would certainly be preferable to feed these from a relatively stable supply, the 240v 1ph.
    The generated phase is not going to remain steady between no load and maximum load, which is less critical on 3ph loads such as motors etc.
    Why put the electronics at risk?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

What's the horse power on your converter?
    Mike,
    40hp. And I would have immediately started there and with any/all wiring. But every detail of the wiring was used just a few months ago by a new 400mm Horizontal with 2400 ipm rapids and three coolant pumps almost this big
    So I had a really good idea that everything was ship shape on that end.
    I am just glad I found this with 2 hours of time on the machine..rather than when problems or parts started failing.
    Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Parts View Post
    Mike,
    40hp. And I would have immediately started there and with any/all wiring. But every detail of the wiring was used just a few months ago by a new 400mm Horizontal with 2400 ipm rapids and three coolant pumps almost this big
    So I had a really good idea that everything was ship shape on that end.
    I am just glad I found this with 2 hours of time on the machine..rather than when problems or parts started failing.
    Gary
    That sounds like a load!!!

My first shop, I built a 30 hp converter. Found a 30 hp 3150 rpm motor and hooked it to a 1 hp single phase using a coupler. Just put them nose to nose. I pushed a momentary button to run the 120v motor and get the 30 hp going then let go of the button and put the power to the 30 hp.

Worked like a charm for many years until I moved into a shop with three phase. Ran a VF-1, a CNC gang lathe, a disk grinder and a Bridgeport off of it all at once.

Most converters use about 1200 rpm motors, but I read back then that the higher rpm motor put out a more stable current. Hard to find though. I found it at a salvage yard in So. Cal., that i used to go to all the time. Neat place.

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VF-2 Wiring Question...Where does manufactured leg from phase converter go?

Guys, I have same question. Haas VF3, what leg does the generated line go to? L2 or L3..

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VF-2 Wiring Question...Where does manufactured leg from phase converter go?

L2-----all of the mills.

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12