Haas I/O board help

Thread: Haas I/O board help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Haas I/O board help

I have a 1990 VF-0 that I cooked a resistor on the I/O board in. I've fixed the short to ground (in the tool changer) but now need to replace the burnt resistor. Problem now is, I don't know what size resistor belongs there as the casing (and color code) is burnt away.

So, what I'm hoping is that some kind people out there will be willing to take pictures of their I/O boards so I can see what resistors they have...

Help, please!
    -Ryan

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by rkdygert; 08-07-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    Ryan K. Dygert
    www.Empire-Engineering.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Post a picture of your board, be sure the lettering on the board is visible. There should be an Rxx next to the resistor. Also, if you can tell us the revision of the board, 32-XXXXx. This part number should be printed on the board as well.

Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a picture of the bad resistor, R49. The board doesn't have a part number on it, best it says is "I/O board Rev C"

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haas I/O board help-photo-2-jpg  
    Ryan K. Dygert

Downloads
    Uploads

The trace appears to be damaged as well, where it appears to shine. Do you have the IC33 chip? I would recommend replacing the board through your local HFO.

I was unable to locate any machine here of that vintage and there is no hope of finding a 21 year old electrical schematic. You can search the Haas Mills forum for 1990 VF-0 and find another user that might be able to give you the color band.

Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I do have a replacement IC and the trace is burnt but I can get around that. I did contact the dealer for a replacement board...unfortunately, the tool changer motor also needs to be replaced because the new board is not compatible with the old motor. Final cost ends up being ~$3k which is more than I care to put into the machine especially if I can repair the board.

Thanks for checking Ken.

Ryan K. Dygert

Downloads
    Uploads

1990 VF1..Hope that helps you out..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haas I/O board help-img_0969-jpg  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rkdygert View Post
    Yes, I do have a replacement IC and the trace is burnt but I can get around that. I did contact the dealer for a replacement board...unfortunately, the tool changer motor also needs to be replaced because the new board is not compatible with the old motor. Final cost ends up being ~$3k which is more than I care to put into the machine especially if I can repair the board.

Thanks for checking Ken.
    I would just send the board out for repair. PM me if you need a place to send it. PLC Man is great.

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    I would just send the board out for repair. PM me if you need a place to send it. PLC Man is great.

Mike
    May not be a bad option as there may be other components that got smoked as well.

Also, why is a new motor not compatable with your I/O? Is it the shuttle or the carousel motor? I would have the HFO parts guy explain what is different.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WMS, thank you...that's excellent, much appreciated.

The carousel motor is not compatible with the new I/O boards. Apparently, the motor will only run one direction if used with the new board and slow at that...according to Haas.

Thanks everybody, I'll let you know how I make out.

-Ryan

Ryan K. Dygert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ryan-

I am back in town and it looks like you found a photo.
    I need it too! I have a board with the same burnt out location.

I have been trouble shooting my machine and have some parameter issues and the tool changer is not working.

What was grounded out on yours?
    I hope you can solve the board problem, I hope to do the same!

thanks
    Chuck

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Turned out the MOSFET was bad, I replaced the MOSFET, the LM339N IC and the resistor in question, fixed the bad trace, and things seem ok...except...I think new thread may be in order for this problem as it's going to take alot of background explanation...

Ryan K. Dygert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The carousel motor is not compatible with the new I/O boards. Apparently, the motor will only run one direction if used with the new board and slow at that...according to Haas.

This is not true at all. I am a factory service tech and I have never heard of this. You were give bad info.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rkdygert View Post
    Final cost ends up being ~$3k which is more than I care to put into the machine especially if I can repair the board.

Thanks for checking Ken.
    The bank of resistors all appear to be the same value?
    They ARE all connected to the same bus point, which could indicate they are all the same resistors doing the same function for the I/O?
    Also if it was just one I/O function affected then it could also point to this.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.