Coolant Through the spindle and mist

Thread: Coolant Through the spindle and mist

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Coolant Through the spindle and mist

I am about ready to purchase a Haas VF6-SS and am undecided on the coolant through options.

The background is we have another unsealed OKK with 1000psi similar to the haas design. We have run the coolant through once since we bought the machine because it filled our shop with terrible mist and shot coolant onto the ceiling when we drilled.

I was considering the 300psi option as it may produce less mist. I am hoping someone can chime in and make some suggestions or let me know how it works.

The application is mostly light milling, drilling, and tapping in 6061 aluminum, and some heavier milling in steel tube for weldments, with lighter drilling and tapping. We rarely drill deeper than 8x diameter, pocketing is usually less than 3x diameter of the tool @ max depth of 75mm or so.

Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a VF-2ss. For the pocketing in aluminum, the stock coolant pump is fine for the depths you're talking about. Even with 5 coolant nozzles going, the system still produces 23psi. That will blow just about any chip you can make out of a pocket.

For the steel pockets, you really should be running dry with AlTin coated endmills. An air blast will remove chips. An expensive CAM program will take care of the toolpaths required for this style of cutting.

For drills, if you're talking production where a couple seconds of cycle time are important, I would get the 1,000 psi TSC and spend some time sealing up your machine. Aside from that, you'll also need a mist collector.

For drilling that is NOT production like above, I don't really see the need for TSC for the depths you listed. I have the 300psi TSC and rarely use it, but if I drill 10 holes in a day, that's a busy day. (I mainly do runs of less than 100 parts)

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe see if you can get the interface, not the whole system. at least that way if you need it in the future, its not a major retrofit.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I assume those of you that have coolant through also purchased the extra coolant filtration so you don't clog your tools with chips/fines.

I have a request in to the dealer for the coolant through prep option. I really want to see a machine running with coolant through on a few tools.

Thanks for all your input so far.

Downloads
    Uploads

I had through the spindle coolant on my VF-4 and do not remember any misting problems. We only used it on deep holes etc., not on most normal work. Really saves your butt on deep hole drilling in steels, such as mold assemblies. Of course you have to buy the tools with through holes too.

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

To use TSC, you need more that just a TSC tool, for an ER holder you need: TSC pull stud, TSC tool holder, TSC collet ring, and TSC nut.

To avoid misting and splashing, you can turn on the TSC closer to the part and try to avoid traveling over pockets and features that redirect the coolant up. Sometimes, you can rearrange your operations to do the drilling first, this can reduce the chances of splashing. Also, it is proposed that drilling provides the largest MMR and can make some features easier to machine. For example, instead of ramping/helixing into a part, you can use the 17/32 drill that you used for the 5/8-11 hole to create an entry point for your 1/2" EM.

Note: On some holders, there are nuts inside the holder that allows quick-changing of tools by providing a solid stop. Some of these need to be removed for the coolant to flow.

Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CTS

Well we went to see a machine with 300psi coolant through. The mist wasn't bad at all when drilling. It got worse with a face mill but still was not much worse than the flood coolant.

I decided to go with the 1000 psi coolant through and get a big huge Royal mist collector.

Should be pretty nice for a haas:
    VF6-SS
    quad auger
    wireless probe/tool setter
    1000psi coolant through
    scales
    40 tools
    hid lighting
    ethernet
    High spped machining

Thanks for the input.

Downloads
    Uploads

gee, I hope you get some free hats with that one!