Haas HA5C hook-up!

Thread: Haas HA5C hook-up!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Haas HA5C hook-up!

I just picked up a Haas HA5C indexing head and I want to hook it directly without the controller. It is of course the white 5C unit, serial # 509475. My machine is a 1996 VF-2 serial number 8797.

I think that the 5C unit is brushed and the machine is brushless. I used to have on old rotary table hooked up to my old 98 VF-4 without issues and I believe it was brushless, can I hook this one up directly and if so what changes need to be made to any parameters etc.

Right now it shows a 106 motor fault when tried and it will not home. And, I have set the 4th axis setting graphics for the 4th axis to HA5C to match the unit.

Both have 17 pin connectors.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Mike -----

Similar Threads:
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure on your rotary year but, if the rotary has one cable, my understanding is that it's a brush rotary. And I think that each rotary type has its own type. In this case, I think you'd have HA5C and HA5CB (for brushed) rotary. Old rotary = brushed, new rotary = brushless (2 cables).

Try the other setting and see if it works.

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

My 96 VF3 is brushless for the XYZ, but the A axis is still converted to brushed. I use the red Haas indexers, as I think they had the brushed motors. I could be wrong, but I thought the white ones had brushless motors, but that is just a WAG. The cable should distinguish.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Not sure on your rotary year but, if the rotary has one cable, my understanding is that it's a brush rotary. And I think that each rotary type has its own type. In this case, I think you'd have HA5C and HA5CB (for brushed) rotary. Old rotary = brushed, new rotary = brushless (2 cables).

Try the other setting and see if it works.
    You definitely would not be able to mix the two configurations so check your setting as stated above. 1 cable = brush system, 2 cables = Brushless system; different connectors for each system.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default HAAS Hookup

Hi Mike,

Congratualations on your 5C Indexer Find. You probably all know this stuff but thought I would mention.

I have a 2007 HAAS TM-1P that I didn't order with the 4th axis pre-wired.

I later checked and found out that it would cost me $2295.00 for the kit plus a HAAS Tech time to install it so that I could plug in the 5C indexer. That includes turning on the necessary codes if needed?????

Also, I found that I would probably???? have to update my CAD/CAM software at additional cost to work with the 4th Axis.

If you call the local HFO in Tampa, they will be able to give you some assistance.

Good Luck,

John

2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://www.johnsmarinesolutions@gmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks everyone for your help.

The indexer is a single line so I assume brush type. The machine is brushless, but they probably put a brush drive for the 4th as not many brushless 4th axis' back then, I have to check it out.

I had previously bought a rotary table that someone had miswired and that may have damaged the driver.

Yup, time to call Tampa, they are on my speed dial!

I'll let you all know what I find out.

Thanks again---Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, reset all parameters and tried again. Nothing, so I opened her up. Found that the 4th drive shows an open fuse. Can't find the fuse, but have a call into Tampa----had to leave a message---------

Mike