Tool Offsets and Z position display in hand jog

Thread: Tool Offsets and Z position display in hand jog

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool Offsets and Z position display in hand jog

Hello,

I have not been able to figure out how to make any of the 4 position readouts give the position of the tip of a tool in the Z direction. I would ideally like to be able to change through tools, and then be able to scroll down to Z0 with each tool, and have that position be at the zero point of my work piece. While a program is running, the readout shows the z height of the tip of the tool. I would like to get it to do this in hand jog mode. I hope this makes sense. Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks,

- Andrew

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hit the post bit key a few times it will give youa few different options axis position options

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As far as I know, the only way you can do that is to program a move to a known height in MDI, then zero the operator position screen, then make incremental moves from there in handle jog mode. For instance, if you have G54 Z set to the top of your part:

G0 G80 G90 G54;
    G43 H1;
    Z0.

From there, you zero your readout and move around.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    As far as I know, the only way you can do that is to program a move to a known height in MDI, then zero the operator position screen, then make incremental moves from there in handle jog mode. For instance, if you have G54 Z set to the top of your part:

G0 G80 G90 G54;
    G43 H1;
    Z0.

From there, you zero your readout and move around.
    Yep.
    I keep this in MDI:

G90 G00 G54 G43 Z2. H1;
    M30;

Then I change the H callout to the tool in the spindle. Once it gets to the position, I set the Z to 2.0 on the operator position page. You can add X0. Y0. to it and set those axis as well.

Apparently I don't know anything, so please verify my suggestions with my wife.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tips guys.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tool Offsets and Z position display in hand jog

It's really bad that Haas doesn't make the display show actual Z position in G54 Jog after a tool change.
    We were able to do this with old Fanuc controls.
    It was easy to alter the subprogram in Fanuc to make that happen, but Haas doesn't give you access to it.

I think it's easy for them to do, they just don't care - and I say that after talking to their rep's and that was their attitude.
    In other words from them 'if ten million users don't ask for it, we won't do it'.
    It's easy to tell them how helpful it would be, but operators don't know any better to ask for it, they are just happy to have jobs.

In one version of the Haas control the MDI command would show actual Z for an instant, then it would go away.
    If you want to do some manual work with the handwheel and multiple tools, it is just a pain in the neck to have to set the Operator Z every dang time.
    I've had numerous conversations with Haas about it and they are totally unsympathetic to this request.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tede View Post
    It's really bad that Haas doesn't make the display show actual Z position in G54 Jog after a tool change.
    We were able to do this with old Fanuc controls.
    It was easy to alter the subprogram in Fanuc to make that happen, but Haas doesn't give you access to it.

I think it's easy for them to do, they just don't care - and I say that after talking to their rep's and that was their attitude.
    In other words from them 'if ten million users don't ask for it, we won't do it'.
    It's easy to tell them how helpful it would be, but operators don't know any better to ask for it, they are just happy to have jobs.

In one version of the Haas control the MDI command would show actual Z for an instant, then it would go away.
    If you want to do some manual work with the handwheel and multiple tools, it is just a pain in the neck to have to set the Operator Z every dang time.
    I've had numerous conversations with Haas about it and they are totally unsympathetic to this request.
    tede,

Welcome to posting on CNC Zone, as I see that this is your first post. I'm glad that your first post was able to contribute so much valuable information to the subject at hand. I' m sure that your information will assist many others trying to get help on this particular topic and thread, which is 5 years old.

As for me, keep your old Fanuc control and I'll keep my Haas control.

Cheers---Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mike,

We only have Haas and Trak mills where I am now.
    I like Haas control much better than the 15 year old Fanuc controls we had at a different shop.
    It's just this one issue that seems fixable.
    Usually newer controls try and take in the good parts of old controls while adding new cool features that outstrip the old controls in other areas.
    Haas does this in a number of places, but they neglect this one item.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tede View Post

I think this is the first time I've ever heard of someone wanting to use the hand wheels. How many of their machines even have them? Just the toolroom machines no?

C|

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    I think this is the first time I've ever heard of someone wanting to use the hand wheels. How many of their machines even have them? Just the toolroom machines no?

C|
    I think they all have a handwheel. I don't think I've ever run any CNC machine that didn't have one.
    Lots of people use the variable knob on the pendant, or the jog buttons and jog lock, etc., so there are lots of options for driving the tool manually. t

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For Lathe

Code:
    %
    O00003 
    (RECZNY)
    (CHECK LATHE MANUAL ENGLISH, SITE 202 & 204) 
    (Use unused macros I means #690 & #691)

T505 (Here change tool number)

#690= #8553 (X Axis tool shift offsets)
    #691= #8554 (Z Axis tool shift offsets)
    G10 L2 P6 X - - #690 + #5221 (G54 Work offsets) 
    G10 L2 P6 Z - - #691 + #5222 (G54 Work offsets) 
    G59 

M30 
    %

Downloads
    Uploads

I seem to remember being a part of this discussion in the Haas Lathes forum, here in cnczone. I agree that it is frustrating that Haas does not do this. It would be be a very simple mathematical calculation for the machine to do. I just don't understand why they don't do it, and show it on the position page, relative to the work offset. There really isn't any reason why they don't, other than it probably hasn't been a priority for them. Haas techs, engineers, or representatives monitoring this forum, people are asking for a software fix for something simple. Pass the word on to those who can do something about it!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

I would like that as well. Usually when I'm trying to find the right Z for probing a thin wall on edge.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, now will be working

Code:
    %
    O00003 
    (RECZNY)
    (CHECK LATHE MANUAL ENGLISH, SITE 202 & 204) 
    (Use unused macros I means #690 & #691)

T505 (Here change tool number)
    #8550=5 (Here change tool number)

#690= #8553 (X Axis tool shift offsets)
    #691= #8554 (Z Axis tool shift offsets)
    G10 L2 P6 X - - #690 + #5221 (G54 Work offsets) 
    G10 L2 P6 Z - - #691 + #5222 (G54 Work offsets) 
    G59 

M30 
    %
    [/QUOTE]