Need Help! SL-20 x centerline offset

Thread: SL-20 x centerline offset

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default SL-20 x centerline offset

Two Questions

1)
    How do you change the X offset centerline, for example when you are in the too geomerty page to set a tool to center line such as a drill you hit F2, I need to change that number.

2)
    Can you and how would you touch a tool off the the work piece and not the probe

Both of these questions relate to a 2005 HAAS SL-20 Lathe

Thanks
    Josh

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

The X offset is a parameter that is "hidden" in the control. It is based on encoder pulses so the number will be large and not make any sense at first. I can't remember if the number is 6 or 7 digits long. There is a previous post that lists the steps. I have the exact procedure written down but it is at the shop. You have to go through the "debug" thing and go to the parameter that controls X axis centerline. It is important to write down the number that is there before you change it to what you need. Have you indicated the boring bar block with a test indicator? By any chance is the turret high or low? If the turret is off perpendicular to the X axis, then you will need to do a turret alignment. Fun! Fun! Fun!

To set the tools w/o the setter,go to your tool geometry page, touch the stock with the tool on the face and then press Z face measure. To do X, touch or skim cut the OD , back off, stop the spindle, measure the diameter, then touch F2 X dia. measure. The control will ask you to enter the diameter of the stock. Type the diameter in the control. It will change to the correct number. That's basically all there is to it. Do the same for all of the tools.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Could you post the procedure?

Hey Wolog,

Any chance you could post the procedure you have written down? I have a .0065" difference between the F2 and indicated centerline since moving my SL-20.

Or maybe link to the other post? I've been looking but haven't found it yet.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by WOLOG View Post
    The X offset is a parameter that is "hidden" in the control. It is based on encoder pulses so the number will be large and not make any sense at first. I can't remember if the number is 6 or 7 digits long. There is a previous post that lists the steps. I have the exact procedure written down but it is at the shop. You have to go through the "debug" thing and go to the parameter that controls X axis centerline. It is important to write down the number that is there before you change it to what you need. Have you indicated the boring bar block with a test indicator? By any chance is the turret high or low? If the turret is off perpendicular to the X axis, then you will need to do a turret alignment. Fun! Fun! Fun!

To set the tools w/o the setter,go to your tool geometry page, touch the stock with the tool on the face and then press Z face measure. To do X, touch or skim cut the OD , back off, stop the spindle, measure the diameter, then touch F2 X dia. measure. The control will ask you to enter the diameter of the stock. Type the diameter in the control. It will change to the correct number. That's basically all there is to it. Do the same for all of the tools.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by chris9potter View Post
    Hey Wolog,

Any chance you could post the procedure you have written down? I have a .0065" difference between the F2 and indicated centerline since moving my SL-20.

Or maybe link to the other post? I've been looking but haven't found it yet.

Thanks!
    This was a 4 year old post. Do you really expect a response?

Sounds like your machine was not leveled properly either before it was moved or after.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default F2 Centerline

I think that the value is held in parameter 254 write dwon what you have in 254 and the change it to what you need then push F2 again to see if you get the new value you keyed in. Glad to see that you were searching the post trying to help your self but next time just check the date on the post if it is real old it may be better to start a new one to get noticed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Haas Factory Support

Chris,
    Has your issue been resolved?

Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Haas Factory Support

Ken, I have the same problem; how to adjust parameter 254. A procedure to do this would be really appreciated, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KenFoulks View Post
    Chris,
    Has your issue been resolved?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SL-20 x centerline offset

The big question is, why is your centerline off? When was the last time the machine leveled? The machine should have the level checked annually. Secondly, was the machine involved in a crash to cause the centerline to shift? Thirdly, are you indicating your Bot tool holders square? Last, have you checked the adjustable cam locating buttons that your BOT mount onto? What type of turret is it? VDI, Bot,hybrid?