Typical Haas install?

Thread: Typical Haas install?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Typical Haas install?

I recently had the privilage of watching the install and set up of a close friends brand new machines from haas and had a few observations that made me wonder if it was a typical thing for haas to do. The first being on 100k plus machines is it normal for set up to eat 2 days, 1 day being soley devoted to leveling as the haas installer let his levels remain ice cold and only brought them in to warm up a few hours after he had been there. Second the machines arived missing key components making them unusable for almost a week. Even after the arrival of thease key pieces, once installed they were improperly aligned leaving the machines again usless and eating another week waiting on a tech to show up to reinstall properly. Long story short, its has been more then a month and still major issues are arrising on 100k plus machinery. Is this a normal way haas does buisness? Looking for others experiences, I hate watching someone get screwed on a quarter mil purchase.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Typical Haas install?

I find most issues are result of the HFO for your area, since they're the ones that are actually performing the work, not Haas direct. Well, maybe that's not true for a machine that is missing required items (although I don't know the details on that). It sounds like your HFO is overloaded with work or needs more personnel.

I've had a few machines take 2 days perform the installation but it was usually due to accessories or package parts that simply ate up time. One was a large mill that needed time to settle. Another was a lathe that needed its enclosure to be completely removed so the tech could install a bolt-on item that had to be field-installed.

There are guys floating around with more experience than I with new Haas machines, though I can say I've dealt with 2 lathes and 9 mills over the past 10 years...I can't say there weren't issues here and there, but they were fairly easy to remedy and the HFO did their job. We are in a heavily industrialized area though, so I wouldn't be surprised if our HFO had more techs available compared to others.

Downloads
    Uploads

The initialization on my Mini Mill did take about 4 hours I think, but most of that was the tech showing me the machine controls.
    Not apples to apples here. That does sound like awhile to have to wait, however if you order a large machine and expect to be able to use it in a day or two, then that is your error. The larger and more complex a machine, the more time it takes to get everything right. You paid for the standard installation and initialization with the machine, so you are not being charged more for extra trips. Time can be an added suck factor. No doubt about that and the technician may not be the best at his job, but at this point you have to let them complete the install. Then determine if you want them to come back and pick it up or not. If he is not satisfied with it, he doesn't have to pay for it.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

I see both your points and knowing that its regionally driven set up, i now can see how this may be part of his issue. Some of it was clearly a bad tech, as it was errors such as aligment of add on haas devices being more then 5 degrees off from center that started me wondering. Before I brought anything up to him I wanted to hear others experiences. This is a heavily industrialised area so it was suprising to see the issues. Thanks for the unbiased info thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    The initialization on my Mini Mill did take about 4 hours I think, but most of that was the tech showing me the machine controls.
    Not apples to apples here. That does sound like awhile to have to wait, however if you order a large machine and expect to be able to use it in a day or two, then that is your error. The larger and more complex a machine, the more time it takes to get everything right. You paid for the standard installation and initialization with the machine, so you are not being charged more for extra trips. Time can be an added suck factor. No doubt about that and the technician may not be the best at his job, but at this point you have to let them complete the install. Then determine if you want them to come back and pick it up or not. If he is not satisfied with it, he doesn't have to pay for it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

5+ years ago, this would have been very odd to hear about, but now it seems all too common with Haas, and is one large reason my newest machine is NOT a Haas. They used to compete on price and service, but there are plenty of machines now that are way nicer for the same money (Doosan, Mori, Okuma, Brother, Hyundai to name a few), and service (and reliability) have seemed to drop off the last few years as well. In my opinion, there is no reason to go with a Haas anymore, unless you are buying a machine with no options (cheap) or you have 15 Haas machines and you want to stay with that control. After using my new Brother for a couple hours, the control excuse went out the window too. I prefer the Brother control to the Haas by a large margin now.

Downloads
    Uploads

I do believe cost was one of his concerns, but also familuarity. It is bothersome they may be losing there QC. When fixing issues on a brand new machine for as long as they have been the decrease in parts ran is more then likely the increase on cost to the next manufacture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    5+ years ago, this would have been very odd to hear about, but now it seems all too common with Haas, and is one large reason my newest machine is NOT a Haas. They used to compete on price and service, but there are plenty of machines now that are way nicer for the same money (Doosan, Mori, Okuma, Brother, Hyundai to name a few), and service (and reliability) have seemed to drop off the last few years as well. In my opinion, there is no reason to go with a Haas anymore, unless you are buying a machine with no options (cheap) or you have 15 Haas machines and you want to stay with that control. After using my new Brother for a couple hours, the control excuse went out the window too. I prefer the Brother control to the Haas by a large margin now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Every time we get a new machine it's running parts in 2 to 3 days

Downloads
    Uploads

Every time tells me that you have several machines, so no training needs to be done and that you have workers ready to install the needed air and electrical systems prior to initialization.
    None of that is a chore if you have the experience and labor readily available.

While I have personally bought several machines, the Mini Mill was my first Haas.
    Small learning curve coming from my other mill that runs Path Pillot. Then all of the new tooling, surface plate, vises needed taken care of. And then I could redo all of our production parts in Fusion 360.

Tooks me a little while to get it up and going.
    I was cutting soft jaws with it in 12 days, but production parts took me another couple weeks.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sandvet03 View Post
    I do believe cost was one of his concerns, but also familuarity. It is bothersome they may be losing there QC. When fixing issues on a brand new machine for as long as they have been the decrease in parts ran is more then likely the increase on cost to the next manufacture.
    Yeah, all things must be weighed. I only own one 2007 Haas VF2ss and a new Brother R650. Originally I had another identical Haas quoted (which was $13,000 more than the 2007) and a Brother S1000 quoted. The Brother has a BT30 spindle, but is faster in every concievable way than the Haas, produces better finishes and is more accurate in real world conditions. Optioned identically to the Haas, the Brother was $10,000 LESS. Support has been flawless for the Brother too. I am very glad I went away from Haas, although it's a little saddening to say. My old Haas has served me very well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Matt the next time around when its replacement time ill sugest he checks them out as well. Usually they run them 3 ish years then buy new machines again we will see as its not my buisness or money. On a side note do the brothers have state side dealers or is import only?
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    Yeah, all things must be weighed. I only own one 2007 Haas VF2ss and a new Brother R650. Originally I had another identical Haas quoted (which was $13,000 more than the 2007) and a Brother S1000 quoted. The Brother has a BT30 spindle, but is faster in every concievable way than the Haas, produces better finishes and is more accurate in real world conditions. Optioned identically to the Haas, the Brother was $10,000 LESS. Support has been flawless for the Brother too. I am very glad I went away from Haas, although it's a little saddening to say. My old Haas has served me very well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sandvet03 View Post
    Thanks Matt the next time around when its replacement time ill sugest he checks them out as well. Usually they run them 3 ish years then buy new machines again we will see as its not my buisness or money. On a side note do the brothers have state side dealers or is import only?
    Since we're in the Haas Lathe forum, to be clear Brother does not make lathes. But to answer your question, Yamazen is who sells and services Brother along with a few other high end brands.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have bought a few new Haas machines in the last two years,2015 ST10 lathe and last May a VF2ss. Bought were set up within 4 or so hours, still in tram today. No issues. HFO's mistakes and/or inexperience shouldn't be held against Haas. Our machines run like mad and produce tight tolerance parts fast every day.