2012 TL-1 Won't power up, bad power board?

Thread: 2012 TL-1 Won't power up, bad power board?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2012 TL-1 Won't power up, bad power board?

I just got done with moving shops where I was running the lathe off a Phase Perfect phase converter. The new shop has three phase power and it has been about 7 months since it was powered up. I went to power up the machine to check the phase correct light before powering up but see no light. I went and swapped two leads on the incoming power and still no light on the power board.

So far I checked:

-voltage coming out of the main breaker on the machine and get 211vac phase to phase and 120 or so phase to ground.

-Glass Fuse on the PCB got good continuity and reading about 3 ohms

-Pulled PSUP P25 cable and check for voltage and got 120vac from each pin to ground.

-Pulled all the PCB mounted breakers and check and all appear to OK

So do I have a failed power supply PCB on my hands? Is there anything else I can check on the power supply PCB? Have these been known to fail?

Thank you

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2012 TL-1 Won't power up, bad power board?

Correction, because I didn't see the phase detect "Pass" light come on I did not attempt to power up the machine. I have the E-stop off but did not attempt to push the power on button at the pendant.

I pulled the power board PCB and am examine for broken soldier or burnt up components, none noted.

I did a continuity test on the Phase detect "Pass" light and am seeing an open across the bulb, not sure if this is an LED or some sort of compact bulb. I switch the leads around and read open across the bulb. Other than that I see nothing else out of the ordinary.

Anyone have any idea if this is a bulb or LED? If I get brave enough I may desolder it and get a closer look. Not sure if this is enough to hold me up.

If I were to power up the machine with it wire out of phase would it say something on the startup screen on the pendant?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

2012 TL-1 Won't power up, bad power board?-img_0634-jpg

Is correct Phase rotation even relevant for this machine? As it goes through a spindle drive and servo amplifiers. Coolant pump is single phase.

What can happen on this machine is the phase rotation is not right? As tested before I am pulling an even 120v from each hot leg to ground so I don't believe I have wild leg setup.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Never mind had a retard moment. Went and powered on with e-stop in and phase light lit up as well as everything else.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten808 View Post

Is correct Phase rotation even relevant for this machine? As it goes through a spindle drive and servo amplifiers. Coolant pump is single phase.

What can happen on this machine is the phase rotation is not right? As tested before I am pulling an even 120v from each hot leg to ground so I don't believe I have wild leg setup.
    Sounds like you have a 208 volt, 3 phase system. Phase rotation should not make a difference to the servo amps, but you might look at the book to make sure.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Jim, yes I have 208 3 phase.

I just had a brain fart moment. For some reason I thought that I should see that "phase pass" light come on when I close the breaker on the cabinet. With the estop pushed in I went and powered up the machine at the pendant. Everything came on just fine, the "Phase pass" light also lit up green, apparently it is a neon bulb so I wasn't going to see continuity. Just a freak out moment under stressful times moving shops and making sure everything survived.