So I've finally gotten ready and to the point where I can buy a lathe (shop available and time to learn CNC), looking at my Haas options. Parts I produce are all stainless and only 4 of the same part, though I will also do some prototyping. So I will need both prototype and light (10 sets a week max) production capabilities. I know any of the machines will work fine for me, but I do like the idea of the turret for convenience of setup that I could just have it ready to go to churn out more parts.

With about a 30k budget minus tooling, I'm wondering what direction I should go. The options so far I have are:
  1. New TL-2 - can get a showroom demo model for some discount, though not sure how much yet or what options it comes with....if I do add a turret, price new gets dangerously close to a new ST-10
  2. Used SL-20 (year 2008 or 2007 comes in budget) - comes with a lot of stuff, but I honestly don't know how to tell if the lathe has a problem. I assume I'd need to find someone who could come assess a used machine with me. Would Haas representatives help out with this? I assume it's a lot like buying a used car, need a good mechanic to look at it and give you some opinions?
  3. New ST-10 - this is definitely over budget, but again depends on where the price of the TL2 comes in at, and if it comes with a turret or not....thinking about that alone has got me wondering if I should save more for this or not....work envelope is smaller, but for my purposes I can't see that it will matter. My large diameter parts are only 1" length, and small diameter tubing or rods (3/4") could go through hole and are 12" length at most.

All opinions welcome, I had looked at other options, but the mix of support and quality of machine seems to land me in Haas area. And while saving money is appealing, I'd rather spend 30k or so up front and be very happy with the capabilities than spend half that and always feel the need to upgrade from day 1.