RS232 Help - forum NEWBIE

Thread: RS232 Help - forum NEWBIE

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default RS232 Help - forum NEWBIE

Hello,

I have a new Haas ST-20SSY, and I am trying to build a cable to interface the RS232. The manual says to use a DB-9 female to DB-25 male null modem cable. I have found a couple of pinouts online, but none have worked correctly. One configuration I was able to transmit to the machine, but not receive, and the other wouldn't do anything. Does anyone out there have a cable pinout that works that they could send me?

Thanks
    Bruce

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: RS232 Help - forum NEWBIE

First off, welcome to the forums!

As to your question, the best cable diagram I know of should be in the Haas operator manual. That was what I used to make my switchbox work for me. Check the manual. If it's not there, I'll scan my page and post it for your reference.

Also, curiosity killed the cat here... Why on earth do you want to RS232 to your new machine? I thought all of the new Haas machines came with USB. I only use RS232 on 2 of my machines that have a floppy drive. And even then, that's only if the program is too big for the floppy to handle. The others have USB, and if you have it available, I would go that route before playing with RS232. Just my $0.02.

Again, welcome!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All the new Haas machines do come standard with the USB. Are you wanting the ability to drip feed the machine because you can run off the USB as FNC. Also if you're wanting to drip feed you should look into the Ethernet option it's a much faster option.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you have to use RS232 then try the cables shown here...RS232 connector pin assignment
    Especially the diagram "Simple null modem without handshaking"

Essentially TX must connect to RX and vis-versa.
    Earth (return) must connect to Earth (return)
    And at each end Request-to-send(RTS) must loop back to Clear-to-send(CTS).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

@HFO, my Haas manual doesn't show cable pinouts.

@Gizmo, the only reason for RS232 is because I work for an Aerospace company and they lock down mass storage ports on computers. It's a lot of red tape to get an exemption.

@qzy4ws, I will give it a try. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

This is from the Haas Lathe Operator's Manual 96-8700 rev U dated June 2008.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RS232 Help - forum NEWBIE-haas-serial-cable-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess I do sort of understand the whole "keep the computers and information safe" idea behind not allowing use of usb thumb drives. That could be a huge security risk under certain situations. Well... RS232 it is then! Good luck to you!

And thanks dcoupar for posting the page out of the manual. I wasn't sure if he needed it or not. I just assumed Haas still printed it in their manuals.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

@bruce-Johnson you still didn't answer why you're choosing RS-232 over Ethernet option. My guess would be that it's that way on all your machines, but there is no pin out needed for the Ethernet option. You have a tech come in and install it and then your machine is connected through cat5 cable which is a lot faster than RS-232. You will see that some long programs will take forever loading them through the RS-232. The E-net option will load them almost instantly. Anyway, dcoupar posted the pin out and good luck to you.