Programming question st-30

Thread: Programming question st-30

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Programming question st-30

We just got this lathe, used, and I'm having mixed luck running my old Fanuc 6t programs on it. I'm just doing it now to get something running until I get the specific programming down for this control.
    The mods to make my old progs run are minimal but I can't get the Haas to pick up offsets. I ran a couple simple 1 tool programs last week and lost 1 part out of each batch seemingly because the machine wouldn't add in the offset values I had input. I lost the 1st part of each batch because of the offset thing but the 2nd part it would pick up the offset OK.

I'm trying to run a second op with 3 tools but even the 1st tool will not pick up the offset after repeated trys. I'm using a G50 start for each tool then the tool and offset number.
    WTH am I missing here?

Top of my programs from the 6T ;
    /G28U1W1 (This would be same as using like g55 on the Haas from here...)
    /G50X20.X23.00
    /GOX12.Z5.
    /M2 (..to here)

G50 X11.Z2.
    G0S1200M3 T1111
    X0
    Z.3
    G74Z-1.5K500F100.........................
    G0X11.Z3.T1100
    /M2

G50X8.Z5.
    M3S1500T101
    X4.Z.1
    G72PQ...........
    G0X8.Z5.T100
    /M2

any ideas?

JohnF

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Programming question st-30

I'm not familiar with using G50 like that(I don't understand why anyone would) but have you checked setting 33 to make sure it's set to fanuc?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

G28 is to send the axis home and G50 is maximum spindle speed. The start of my programs are all like this

G21
    G50 S2500
    M31

(T1)
    N10 G40 G54 G99 G96 S150 G00 X300. Z400. T0101 M03;
    M08

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by djm77 View Post
    G28 is to send the axis home and G50 is maximum spindle speed. The start of my programs are all like this

G21
    G50 S2500
    M31

(T1)
    N10 G40 G54 G99 G96 S150 G00 X300. Z400. T0101 M03;
    M08

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Max spindle speed isn't G50's only use on a Haas lathe.

It can also be used to set global coordinate system or shift global coordinate system.

Downloads
    Uploads

I figured part of it out. It seems the control wants the machine to move in both axis in the same line I call out the T**** data. Doesn't seem to matter which direction it moves as long as it moves. It picks up and cancels the offsets OK doing that.

What I'm doing for now;
    G50 X10. Z5.
    G0 T400 M3 S1200
    X9. Z4. T404 (picks up offset values)
    (TOOL PATHS)
    G0 X10. Z5. T400
    M1

I've been programming NC/CNC's since 1979 and figured out the G50 positioning system I use way back about the time dirt was invented. I'm still working with a 6T control and my G50 style is pretty much required to run it. Our Haas mills are newer style controls and the lathe control is very similar but still a bunch of potential crashes exist until I get used to it. I programmed a Mazak lathe about 20+ years ago that had a similar tool setting system to the ST-30 but that was 20 years ago.... now a days I have trouble finding my way home after work.

This ST-30 thing has the pre-set probe goody too, looking forward to figuring that out along with the grid system. I think the grid system is basically the same thing I do with the 1st 3 lines of my G50 programs that I hide behind the '/'s after the machine positions itself.

JohnF
    Phoenix

Downloads
    Uploads

I've gotten used to the "New" (to me) style of grid programming now, even using the tool probe. What I did find was when using the G50 programming style I tried initially it would put a strange offset in the G50 position on the offset page and leave it there. When I tried using the different style of grid programming it would add in the G50 I didn't know was there and cut a weird diameter size and I couldn't figure out why. I finally discovered the G50 didn't show up on the offset page until I scrolled down to the bottom of the pages. After I set this to "0" everything worked as it should.

JohnF

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Haas's basic work coordinates are G54-55-57 etc.. G52 is for yasnac. Hit the mid then prg/cnv button then move over to the probe tab. You have to select the manual feature first before utilizing the automatic or broken tool under the pro being tab.