Holy Carp!!! Loud hi-pitched scream coming from ST-30 spindle end of machine

Thread: Holy Carp!!! Loud hi-pitched scream coming from ST-30 spindle end of machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Holy Carp!!! Loud hi-pitched scream coming from ST-30 spindle end of machine

Damn. An ear splitting scream is coming out of the fan end of the headstock while the machine is in operation. It's worse under load or deceleration and worst of all if you stand at the end and let the fan blow on you. It's not the fan the fan is (supposedly) new and spindle load would have no affect on that anyway. Don't suggest the fan. It ain't the fan. Forget about the damned fan.

We just got this machine (used) and it's running it's 1st job.

Any ideas???

JohnF
    Phoenix

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Holy Carp!!! Loud hi-pitched scream coming from ST-30 spindle end of machine

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Damn. An ear splitting scream is coming out of the fan end of the headstock while the machine is in operation. It's worse under load or deceleration and worst of all if you stand at the end and let the fan blow on you. It's not the fan the fan is (supposedly) new and spindle load would have no affect on that anyway. Don't suggest the fan. It ain't the fan. Forget about the damned fan.

We just got this machine (used) and it's running it's 1st job.

Any ideas???

JohnF
    Phoenix
    It's just missing it's old owner

Can you do a video so we can hear the noise, most likely a Bearing there is a lot going on at the back of the spindle

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Holy Carp!!! Loud hi-pitched scream coming from ST-30 spindle end of machine

Hey, Mactec54.
    I don't have all that fancy technology to do a video. My flip phone has a hand crank on the side and a rotary dial. I may even be on a party line.....
    The scream sounds like the belt scream I've heard on machines in the past but about 4 times louder. It has to exceed the Guvmint dB levels, it's incredible. We have some spindle bearing problems I believe. It's kinda gravel-y 1st think in the morning. I just ran through an RPM cycle from 500 to about 1500 RPM in 200 RPM steps. Around 1200 it sounds like a bearing that's come apart and the retainers are rattling around inside. Precision bearings have fiber retainers usually so that's new.

I'm in the middle of my 1st Cinnamon vodka and coke....pretty tasty.

John
    Phoenix

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hey, Mactec54.
    I don't have all that fancy technology to do a video. My flip phone has a hand crank on the side and a rotary dial. I may even be on a party line.....
    It sounds like you have a latter model than mine, I always wanted one with a hand crank on the side

I think you have a gearbox on the back, that would be the first check, the spindle bearings, depends how much abuse it has seen, the belt is a timing belt type, these can make a noise if too tight

Mactec54