Need Help! HL2 Turret Alignment

Thread: HL2 Turret Alignment

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default HL2 Turret Alignment

Hello,

I've got a HAAS HL2, the turret has been knocked horribly off-center. Turning tools need to be shimmed, and floating holders are used to drill on-size. Who has knocked one of these turrets back into "center", and what advice might you have for me?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HL2 Turret Alignment

Here is something you can look at, that is if my memory of what the Haas tech did to fix my HL1 about ten years ago is correct.

At the center of the turret is a ring of bolts that hold it onto its shaft that has the worm gear inside the housing that the servo drives. As I recall the holes for these bolts have considerable clearance and on one of the bolts there is a dowel bushing to align things. I seem to recall the bushing in brass and the tech said something about it being a sort of shear pin that would yield if the turret got a healthy whack while it was locked.

You should be able to loosen these bolts so they are just finger tight and then slightly rotate the turret to realign it. You may have to both rotate the turret and move the X axis slightly to get one of the tool holder holes on center checking with a DTI in the chuck; then cinch up the bolts. Needless to say this is all done with the turret in the locked position.

If the turret then indexes okay and you do not get any alarms about a servo overload, (I think on these lathes the turret servo is called the A axis) then you could be good to go.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HL2 Turret Alignment

Turret Box re-alignment

1. Stick mag indicator holder with test indicator in machine and indicate outside diameter of turret in "Z" direction. If its under .015 off center, then you adjust the "Box", if its over .015 off centerline, then the "Wedge" needs to be adjusted also.

2. Remove back cover, side cover, turret box cover, and turret box lid, so entire box is accessible all the way around. Break all shcs, bolted to the linear bearings except for for furthest right side rear bolt "pivot point".

3. Using the indicator as before, indicating outside diameter of turret in "Z' direction, tram box back in. Slowly snug each corner, crisscrossing until all bolts are tightened and the box is indicated (.0005 or less).

4. To reset centerline, stick indicator in chuck so you can swipe 360° circle in T1 bored pocket. Adjust "X" until it reads 0 on the indicator. To adjust height, mount a tool holder in top pocket, loosen shcs bolts on face of turret "snug", and use a non marring hammer to tap cw or ccw to adjust height on indicator to 0. Tighten screws back down and check full 360° swipe to make sure its zero all the way around.

5. With "X" still in position, go to alarm page, type "debug", press "write". Press Position button, page up to POS-RAW DAT 1 page. Observe the "X" axis COMMAND position. Copy this number to parameter 254 as a positive number with no decimal point.

6. Go back to alarm screen, type "debug", then hit write to exit debug mode.