Haas Tl-1 Toolroom Lathe - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Haas Tl-1 Toolroom Lathe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by danielfdiaz View Post
    Just wondering does the TL1 have graphic capabilities so you can see your program run?
    thanks for the info. I wish we could go with a full blown slant turn CNC but not enough need for it in prototype work.
    thanks for th info.
    Danny
    yes it has a graphics feature , and a pre run graphics feature , though i dont use it .

Downloads
    Uploads

Default TL 1 HAAS

Hey Guys- We bought one in November. We machine experimental lab equipment and one-offs. We could not use the Haas successfully until the air pressure alarm was solved. The problem was that the machine shipped with a setting to check for a lube switch even though we didn't have one. It took three repairman to solve this. Now it seems to run okay, although we are adding our own lighting and coolant manifold.
    MY QUESTION: What holders do people use for the four station automatic turret ATT 1 for 3/4 tools. Who do you use for the tool holders? In specific boring bars. We don't care for the HAAS holder, would like to purchase one that orientates the bar using a flat and a set screw, etc. Any suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rhodesm View Post
    ...... We don't care for the HAAS holder, would like to purchase one that orientates the bar using a flat and a set screw, etc. Any suggestions?
    Make your own; that was my solution.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Someone a couple of pages back asked how to turn off the deadman switch. Just wondering if he got an answer, and if he did, what was it.
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Here :
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseco View Post
    Why remove it? If it's just that you want to overide it or bypass it, go on the second page of the setup screen, put ON at door hold override. If you answer yes to the question that the control ask you, you are aware of the danger. You must do that at every power cycling.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Still for sale??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default manual mode

I am the Civilian supervisor for a Air Force Machine/welding shop. We have a TL1 that we have had for just over a year. It has the 4 postiion tool turret, doors, coolant, tailstock.. It is a really nice machine. Being the boss I dont get to play with it as much as I would like to.
    I have alot of young Airmen here that Im not ready to turn them loose with the "Cycle Start" button just yet. Hehe. Since the machine is marketed to be somewhat Manual as well, it makes me ask this question........
    First I can hold the X or Z direction button down with any feedrate and perform a manual cut. Does anyone know if there is a way to dial in a cut and tell it to feed in X or Z and hit a button to stop the feed?? It would be pretty much like using any other manual machine then. It seems like it would be easy for Haas to program something like that in. Sometimes makng a light cut on something in a manual mode is just the ticket.
    If there isnt a way to do it I figured someone would have figured out a way to Mod the control to do that by now..
    I would like to hear some input on that from some experience users.

Thanks for any input,
    Kelly

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes hitting handle and then .001 and then the X key will move the turret in .001 per sfm and yes you can do this in Z as well. I often finish a part doing that rather reprogram.
    The most difficult thing about the four stage turret is making sure the swing does not hit the workpiece, chuck or tailstock. For this I place a
    GOO X +dia plus 1" and Z 5.0. This usually puts me in the middle of the bed and away from swinging into a part.
    The second danger is when using tool 1, make sure tool 2 is not a long boring bar, especially one made out of carbide . Not that I DID anything like that mind you....
    We alos put in our own manifolds for coolant. WORKS GREAT.
    Last thing. Tried mounting water proof lighting. Worked great until chuick jaws extended about 50% out. then whacka wahack wa=hacka. $165 light is crumbs.

I dont trust Haas to write any code. Write your own, put it on clipboard and paste it in. Using conversation an M01 is automatic, but you have to put in M08,M09 etc. so why not tweak everything else.

Started to use our Surfcam Lathe. Love it so far.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default manual

I think i understand what you are say.
    I have done that where I have to hold down the X or Z key all the way through the cut. It will stop its travel when I let off of the Key. Are you telling me that you can do that and it will continually feed in X or Y until you tell it to stop?
    That is what I am looking for.

Thank you
    Kelly

Downloads
    Uploads

In the turn/face feature, you should have the feed mode. I'm not at work to guide you but with this mode, you should be able to do what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads

The TL machines, like all Haas lathes, do not have the 'Jog Lock' feature the same as the mills so when you want to take a 'manual' cut in Handle Jog you have to hold the key down all the time.

It is possible to take a cut in MDI by writing a bit of incremental code such as G01 W-2. F.005, which will move 2" in the Z negative direction from the position the tool is at when you hit cycle start; of course you have to put a spindle command as well.

Something like this would take the cut than retract slightly on the X axis before stopping the spindle.

Type into the MDI screen

M03 S1000
    G01 W-2. F0.005
    X0.1
    M30

Position the tool at the start using Handle Jog, bring up the MDI screen and press Cycle Start. Use Handle Jog to go back to the start for another cut.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LaConcepts View Post
    I am the Civilian supervisor for a Air Force Machine/welding shop. We have a TL1 that we have had for just over a year. It has the 4 postiion tool turret, doors, coolant, tailstock.. It is a really nice machine. Being the boss I dont get to play with it as much as I would like to.
    I have alot of young Airmen here that Im not ready to turn them loose with the "Cycle Start" button just yet. Hehe. Since the machine is marketed to be somewhat Manual as well, it makes me ask this question........
    First I can hold the X or Z direction button down with any feedrate and perform a manual cut. Does anyone know if there is a way to dial in a cut and tell it to feed in X or Z and hit a button to stop the feed?? It would be pretty much like using any other manual machine then. It seems like it would be easy for Haas to program something like that in. Sometimes makng a light cut on something in a manual mode is just the ticket.
    If there isnt a way to do it I figured someone would have figured out a way to Mod the control to do that by now..
    I would like to hear some input on that from some experience users.

Thanks for any input,
    Kelly
    Kelly,

What base are you at? I run military machine shop as well and have a TM1 and TL1... I have learned this... Trust your machinist and their training. Make them check, recheck and triple check their clearances, offsets etc... they know what they have been taught at school, but if you hold them back, they will never get the experience they need so you can kick back and enjoy that cup of coffee watching out the window at your guys producing thos tight toleranced parts for the AF! I have visited several AF machine shops and have been quite impressed by their level of skill.

Brad

Downloads
    Uploads

It took me a couple of months to finally give up on all that jog button, hand-feeding nonsense. This is why the machine comes with IPS. Fill in some basic dimensions on the FACE or TURN screens, go to 5% rapid, cover the FEED HOLD button and hit CYCLE START.

Let the machine do what it's designed to do. Train them to set the work offset. Let them do that early and often. It'll force them to learn to read G-code in MDI which becomes an easy bridge to learning to write their own G-code.

After you get comfortable with all of that, you'll wonder why you didn't just order an SL-20 with IPS. When I use my TL-1, I never reach for the handwheels anymore but, I sure wish it had a tool changer and enclosure.

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post

Type into the MDI screen

M03 S1000
    G01 W-2. F0.005
    X0.1
    M30
    The third line of code should be W0.1 not X0.1

Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KenFoulks View Post
    The third line of code should be W0.1 not X0.1
    The third line is indeed wrong, but shouldn't it be U0.1?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Something like this would take the cut than retract slightly on the X axis before stopping the spindle.
    You stated that you wanted to retract X axis, but I suppose Z axis retration makes more sense.

Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Base

Hey Brad,

Im at Barksdale AFB in Louisiana. I run the 917th/307th Metals Tech. WE have 4 ARTS (Full time civilians) 7 reservist and 5 active duty.

I agree about not holding them back.. However I am a firm beleiver in letting the guys (and gals) right out of tech school learn as much as possible on the manuals first. To me that is a goal for them to shoot for in their training. I have some that are way ahead of expectations and are already learning some basic turning and facing on the TL1.
    I have a few that Im leery at times to see them turn the feed engagement lever on a manual machine.. LOL. much less hit the cycle start button on the Haas.
    Since the availability of CNC only came to us about 6 years ago I havnt had the experience that others have. I do enjoy it though because it kind of reinspires me being able to learn something new like that. We also have a Fadal VMC that I have alot of fun on. I also have access to a 4X8 Shopbot CNC router. I really enjoy that machine. I do some fabricating at a shop at my home where I have a 4X4 CNC Plasma/Router and a Mill/Drill. With all that said I still enjoy some manual machining and was looking for some simple manual functionality on the Haas when our manual lathe is tied up..

So where are you at Brad???

Kelly

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kelly,

I am on Marine Corps Base Japan in Okinawa. I have 15 years manual experience and about 2 on CNC. All of what I know about CNC has been self taught and ALOT of trial, error and OH CRAP moments. I agree with you about the younger machinist "earning their place" so to speak. there is alot of basics you still need to know that apply to both manual and CNC. I definitely hear you about the quality in knowledge coming out of tech school. Some pick it up faster than others.

We have the TM and TL, a 5 axis clausing lathe, plus 2 manuals lathes, a manual mill, mill/drill (absolutely HATE this machine) and a a 4x8 flow waterjet. Our shop is pretty well set up, I just don't have enough experienced machinist to run it to its full potential. We have 3 jr machinist, 2 experienced and 1 civilian Japanese guy that has about 40 years manual experience. He won't eve ngo near the CNC's and doesn't really need to as he can usually put out just as good a product on manual.

Brad

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KenFoulks View Post
    You stated that you wanted to retract X axis, but I suppose Z axis retration makes more sense.
    Am I confusing myself even more?

W is incremental Z and U is incremental X, is that not so?

My little bit of code was intended to make an incremental cut in the negative Z direction then withdraw the tool slightly in the positive X direction and stop the spindle.

My first attempt:

M03 S1000
    G01 W-2. F0.005
    X0.1
    M30

Was wrong because I used X which would be an absolute move. The correct code would be:

M03 S1000
    G01 W-2. F0.005
    U0.1
    M30

(I think)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Brad

Brad,

Thank you for your service over there...

How do you like the FlowJet.
    I have a 4X8 Omax waterjet on order. Probably wont see it for another year or two. It is suppose to have the tilt-a-jet head on it. It compensates for the tapered Kerf that you see on them. The head tilts when necessary as it cuts. My Plasma does the same thing but it is substantially cheaper than a waterjet..hehe.
    How do you like the TM? I am authorized one more toolroom Mill (I have two Clausing Kondias) so I thought I would get one of those. I would love to have one of them at my shop at home. That or one of Haas' Gantry routers since you can machine aluminum on it.
    About a year ago we got a Clausing Tornado with Live Tooling. I have a couple guys that run it. I havent had the time to get into that one.
    Are you on Facebook?
    Kelly

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast