Haas Tl-1 Toolroom Lathe - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Haas Tl-1 Toolroom Lathe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kelly,

To tell the truth, our waterjet has basically replaced our large band saw. . . I love it, but is very expensive on consumables i.e. mixing tubes are $100 ea and if you do not have yoru orifice aligned properly or your nozzle offset is wrong, you will blow them out pretty quick. We use it to rough cut to within .100 for some of our Machine work to minimize waste. Plus we cut alot of going away gifts (plaques) with it. The only real beefs I have with it is the cost of consumables and that damn Kerf!

TM-1 has been great! For the money it was an easy sell for the contracting office and HAAS already has a GSA contract which made sole source purchase a breeze. IF you go with a TM, I'd suggest a TM-2P which is a little bigger with full enclosure. The enclosure will save you a ton on cleanup and you won't have to wear rain gear when flood coolant is on. I only have had one major issue with it in the 18 months we have had it. The grease fittings on the front of the bed clogged up and wasn't lubricating all of ways... linear bearings all fell out! HAAS sent us replacements for free.

We just had one of Clausing's reps out here for a week to run through our Tornado T8MS Great machine, but have had a few issues because it sat for 5 years before anyone had the ambition to get it running. How do you like the Fanuc controls? Seem a little outdated to me compared to HAAS controls, but I am learning to use them.

What CNC programming software is the AF using? Yes I am on Facebook, look me up I'll be the only Brad Jones listed as being in Okinawa Japan.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Brad

Brad,
    That is what we are thinking on the waterjet..... use it to rough out some material. There have been many occasions where it would hae saved us alot of boring or pocketing.
    As far as the tornado goes.... I havent used it myself... havent had time to learn it. The controls certainly arent as nice as the Haas. They do however have more graphics that our Fadal controller. That thing is only missing a Tape hanging out of it. I do enjoy using it though.
    We are using Feature Cam for our main software. I really like it. It is equiped with Solid Modeling, Automatic Feature Recognition, turn, and live turn as well.
    I recently bought Vectrics Aspire software. I really like it. It is great for the special projects (plaques etc). You can do some simple stuff with it that is alot harder on more sofisticated softwares and it is only $2000.00. It is still great for alot of 2D work as well and easier to program. It may not be as precise as FEature cam but is plenty close enough for most projects. It does 3D machiniing as well and you can buy many 3D files from Vectorart3d.com at a low price to machine. Things like the Marine Logo, flags, eagles, horses, etc etc.
    Another advantage to Aspire for me is that I can make a program and save it using the post processor for the Fadal, the Shopbot or my Machine at home and machine the same file. I like that.

Kelly

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello

I'm in the process of ordering a TL-1 and was wondering on peoples options on the options to get? After reading up I'm thinking about not getting the manuel handels (have a mini mill, so used to using the interface to move the head around). But was thinking the enclosure, coolant, tailstock. The one I'm really not sure is the 4 point tool changer, I'm used to using a chick changer on the manuel and would be happy to use it on the TL-1. I can see both plus and misses, Plus you have 4 tools in there setup thus fast to use them. but then again I can only have 4 already there....... If I didn't go with it is there a better aftermarket tool changer. The other idea/thought, I would want a simple milling attachment so that I could cut keyways or drill through holes or simple 3D milling using CAM. Is this possible?

I'm make one off - max 10 parts thus not a production machine.

Any input from owners would be good.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you are buying new I think you have no choice but to get the enclosure.

The tailstock is worth it for the occasional long job.

The tool changer is well worth it even for doing only short runs, and with ingenuity it is possible to gang tools in a single location.

You will have to devise your own milling/slotting attachment but I think you would find it a challenge to figure out something to do 3D work because there is no spindle lock and the spindle cannot be operated as a C axis.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For the TL-1, it seems chip enclosure is optional with 2000 RPM spindle. Chip enclosure is required on 3500 RPM spindle option. Spindle chuck guard comes with both 2000 and 3500 spindles. Spindle orientation is optional, I doubt this includes spindle brake though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your reply, Yes looking at the HAAS website, you can not order it with out the enclosure.

You will have to devise your own milling/slotting attachment but I think you would find it a challenge to figure out something to do 3D work because there is no spindle lock and the spindle cannot be operated as a C axis.
    Thanks for the advice, it looks like you can get spindle orientation for 795 euros. This I think is what I want. Has any one any experience with this? The most common example where I think I would use it is drilling the bolt/screw holes into the parts. For example rotate 90deg then drill, repeat for all the holes. But can you control this dynamically, I'm not thinking complete 3D program more like cutting flats or wave channels?

One other question is it worth getting there chuck or can you get better cheaper aftermarket ones?

I have the HAAS guy coming on monday, lets see what he thinks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Better and cheaper? Haaa ha ha ha ha ha! Thanks for today's humor.

Downloads
    Uploads

The spindle orientation is only electronic so you would probably have to devise a spindle brake activated by a user M code to stop it wandering when the drill made contact. Also the precision is not going to be abything like as good as a rotary table on a milling machine. I don't know the actual precision in fractions of a degree and don't recall ever seeing it mentioned on the Haas website.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

M19 Spindle Orient will probably get you to within a tenth of a degree or less precision. The problem is, without a physical brake to lock it in position, the spindle drive motor is trying to keep the spindle at the programmed position. While drilling or milling, the force of the tool will be trying to move the spindle. The spindle will be fighting back trying to hold position. You will probably end up with some oscillation, at least on initial tool contact with the material. Could a person add a physical spindle brake to a Haas TL lathe and enable user M-code for lock and unlock? Probably. Would I want to do it? No way. I would just get a lathe intended for milling/live tooling.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    ...... No way. I would just get a lathe intended for milling/live tooling.
    Unfortunately I don't have $150,000 burning a hole in my pocket just waiting to be spent.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately I don't have $150,000 burning a hole in my pocket just waiting to be spent.
    true, plus I have to get the machine through a small door which means I cant get anything bigger then a TL-1. Cant believe you can't get simple live tooling for machines like this.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    One could probably locate a used lathe with live tooling for much less than $150,000.00 and much less effort than retrofitting a brand new machine. What is the cost of a new TL-1 plus the cost of retrofitting to have both spindle brake and live tooling?

Quote Originally Posted by brennand View Post
    true, plus I have to get the machine through a small door which means I cant get anything bigger then a TL-1. Cant believe you can't get simple live tooling for machines like this.
    Used Hardinge lathe with live tooling will have a similar foot print, but slightly smaller work envelope.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I bought a new LT-1 today :-) Should be here in two weeks. Ended up getting the spindle orientation + the HAAS chuck, for 29k euros including delivery and install. But haven't sorted out any tool post yet. I've got a cheap AXA quick change on my manual machine, so is there a good quality brand that is similar or I might go in the gang tooling route. any advice would be good.

Thanks

Bren

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After an evening of googling I think I have it down to either Aloris or Dorian. Has any one any first hand experience with either of these on the LT-1, who could give advice on the size and how hard it is to install.

Thanks

Bren

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brennand View Post
    After an evening of googling I think I have it down to either Aloris or Dorian. Has any one any first hand experience with either of these on the LT-1, who could give advice on the size and how hard it is to install.

Thanks

Bren
    I have experience with both. I would recommend the Aloris. Not significantly better than the Dorian, but I dislike the Dorian company as a whole, although that make some of the best knurling tools I have used.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456