which lathe???

Thread: which lathe???

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default which lathe???

i am a one man band. i am a chassis builder and i have a vf-3 which i try to only use for multiple run parts so i can continue welding and only stop when my green light is flashing. im thinking of adding a lathe to my shop for making threaded tube adapters and what not. it needs to be self sufficient for the most part. not like a tl series where you still have to "man" it for some of the time. what would be a good starting lathe? im not afraid of getting a used older model to try and save some loot. maybe like an hl-2? or would it be worh it to get a new small lathe like a gt-20 or even an sl-20?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you're buying your thread adapters from the Chassis Shop (Pro-Werks), or any other quality source, you will be very hard pressed to be money ahead making your own. I looked into it myself, but unless you're using several hundred a month, it doesn't really make sense unless you want to do something different with the design, which I can't imagine. If you're after money savings, ask the Chassis Shop about quantity discounts. I just bought 22 of the Pro-Werks filler caps, and they discounted my price beyond what is on their website without me even asking. Beyond that, you could ask them about becoming a distributor for even lower pricing.

All the chassis/car builders I do work for are happy as clams to outsource work to me. It saves them from having the overhead, and I can get it done faster than they could because they have other things they could be working on, like you alluded to yourself.

With all that said, I would think an SL-10 with a bar puller would be about right for what you're talking about. It's enclosed, has a turret and you could load 3' bars and let'er rip.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

well, im actually getting into furnishing components for other chassis shops in addition to my own. there are a few of the large mail order chassis shops that get components from me and ive been thinking about adding a lathe to my own tools for my personal stuff but also to try and manufacture parts for others as well. i have bought from "chassis shop" for the 6 years ive been in business and they have a great product. im just trying to get into more production stuff and try to sell to other shops like im already doing. theres a chance youve seen my stuff somewhere and dont even know it. i make AN wrenches for a few people, fabricated housings, motorplates... etc... i actually had an ad in ND this week also.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That shines a whole new light on the subject then. If I were you, I think I'd be looking into a little bigger machine simply for more power and more tools on the turret. Also, think long and hard about either a bar feeder, or a bar puller with a stock support behind the spindle. Either of those would let you run longer before needing to be fed again. I don't know if you're looking at THAT much production though.