1911 Gun Grips

Thread: 1911 Gun Grips

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 1911 Gun Grips

Hi, Im new to the CNC world and this Forum so please be patient with me if Im asking silly questions.

I just put together my CNC machine. I have done a couple cuts with some very basic GCodes. I would really like my next project to make myself some grips for my 1911 handgun. Does anyone have what I need?

Again Im very new to this and looking for the something that is more plug and play then I will start making changes from there?

Thanks again and I apologize if Im asking silly questions, I just did not know where to look...

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have an answer for you, but it's an interesting question.

There are some downloads for machining a 1911 frame at CNCGUNSMITHING - www.cncguns.com - Downloads, and one of the downloads at that site includes a PDF of blueprints for a 1911 (including grips). But going from a blueprint to gcode is not a trivial step.

However, somebody must have a 1911 grip model that can be used to generate gcode, right?

I'm not sure yet what CAM software I can get my hands on to handle an .igs file, but there's another download that claims to be 1911 grips from DumpsterCNC that may be worth investigating further. Also see http://www.cnczone.com/forums/hobby_...45_clones.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 1911 Gun Grips

Quote Originally Posted by jaxncurtis View Post
    Hi, Im new to the CNC world and this Forum so please be patient with me if Im asking silly questions.

I just put together my CNC machine. I have done a couple cuts with some very basic GCodes. I would really like my next project to make myself some grips for my 1911 handgun. Does anyone have what I need?

Again Im very new to this and looking for the something that is more plug and play then I will start making changes from there?

Thanks again and I apologize if Im asking silly questions, I just did not know where to look...
    Jax,

What did you find intrested in the same thing, do you mind if I contact you?

Saludos,
    Carlos
    Home

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I found a solid model of 1911 grips online and created tool path from BobCad V25 used a 1/8" ball mill to do it on a Taig CNC mill, it took about an hour per panel, but came out real nice. What Cad/Cam software are you using? what kind of mill? what is it that you need? do you just want the G code so you can run it?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Swhite9478 View Post
    I found a solid model of 1911 grips online and created tool path from BobCad V25 used a 1/8" ball mill to do it on a Taig CNC mill, it took about an hour per panel, but came out real nice. What Cad/Cam software are you using? what kind of mill? what is it that you need? do you just want the G code so you can run it?
    Thanks for the reply, I just bought a hf mill, that I want to convert to cnc, I have access to a shapoko 2, but I'm still wet behind the ears and just learning. Any help greatly appreciated.

Here is my email carlosdelao3@Gmail.com

Saludos,
    Carlos
    Home

Downloads
    Uploads

By any chance would you still have the link to the model that you found?

I may take a look through sites such as GrabCAD to see whether they may have any such models, but a pointer to the one that you found would be appreciated also.

For example, I saw this file listing (although comments indicate that the file may only have contained the right grip and not the left - I have not yet downloaded it to check):

1911 Grips - STEP / IGES, Other - 3D CAD model - GrabCAD

Update: I downloaded the zip file and it apparently contains both left and right grip files in .igs format. I have not yet examined those files however.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This guy is fantastic, he has a lot of advice and downloads on his sight. CNCGUNSMITHING - www.cncguns.com - Downloads

Just joined the site recently. Browsing around found this post, thought I'd add some stuff I made.

I think I got my file from cncguns.com. Made on a Haas SR100 Router programmed in Mastercam 8.1 (my company was cheap running 15 year old software)

Matched set. by olydemon, on Flickr

Bocote 22/45 grips by olydemon, on Flickr

Bamboo stocks by olydemon, on Flickr

Bamboo by olydemon, on Flickr

Bamboo closer by olydemon, on Flickr

and a set made from Jolly ranchers....
    kimber by olydemon, on Flickr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by olydemon View Post
    Just joined the site recently. Browsing around found this post, thought I'd add some stuff I made.

I think I got my file from cncguns.com. Made on a Haas SR100 Router programmed in Mastercam 8.1 (my company was cheap running 15 year old software)

Matched set. by olydemon, on Flickr

Bocote 22/45 grips by olydemon, on Flickr

Bamboo stocks by olydemon, on Flickr

Bamboo by olydemon, on Flickr

Bamboo closer by olydemon, on Flickr

and a set made from Jolly ranchers....
    kimber by olydemon, on Flickr
    Very, nice! Thanks for sharing

Saludos,
    Carlos

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love the matching grips on the 22-45 and the 45, I need to do something like that with the dimples.